30mm Napoleonic Army

First Name
Andrew
I hadn't noticed how few figure projects appear on the site until Peter day mentioned it last week. So in an attempt to give him some company here is some work I did a few years ago, before I got sucked into WW1 trenches. I know that I am known for scenic work, but my main appeal are the figures. I can paint, but have a mental block because I want to be better than I am. I also leave long gaps between painting, so have to relearn things again each time. I sort of muddle my way forward without really knowing how I got there. I'll leave it to the experts like Peter to say how its done.
Here are photos of some 30mm figures that are produced by Andrea. Only a few of the figures are straight from the box as most have small adaptions. A few have more changes to them, but I realised that it wouldn't require too much work to create quite a number of different figures in Napoleon's army. My intention was to create another set of mounted figures. Andrea released some hussars, which got me going. Then I got made redundant and couldn't work on my own stuff while I picked up a new direction in my career. When I did start making my own models again I made a trench section and that's what I've been doing for the last few years.

IMG_1747a.jpg
This is the 28 figures arranged all together with a mirror background because I'd spent so much time working on their backs.

IMG_1447.JPG
These were the first figures I did. The Grenadier on the left comes straight from the box, but the middle three are adaptions of that figure. The Chasseur just needed changes to his busby and cuffs. The others just had work on their busbies.

IMG_1449.JPG
The next 5 figures were these. Andrea just make Imperial Guard Grenadiers and Line Fusiliers. The first 3 of these are just painted differently. The Surgeon needed a new bicorn sculpting, but he was basically just an officer. The medic on the end required more work. They would go around in pairs. One would carry a rolled up canvas sheet which could be carried using their pikes as a stretcher. Over their back packs would be a wooden two legged end for the stretcher. The pair would carry one end each and it had holes to insert the pikes at each end so the stretcher stood off the ground. I had to sculpt the bits of stretcher from bits of styrene. The next photo shows how the stretcher end sits over his pack. (If you zoom in.)
IMG_0362a.jpg

IMG_0379.jpgIMG_0380.jpg
This was my imperial Guard Sappeur, converted from a Grenadier. You'll see his weapons were sculped from bits of styrene and foil. His apron, beard and busby were adapted with Miliput.

IMG_0968.JPG
Here's my Foot Dragoon and Engineer who had different heads sculpted. I made a rubber mould of one of the heads to cast those that I wanted to adapt. You'll see there were some more extensive conversions like the Eagle-bearer and Band-master amongst the group.

IMG_2539.JPG
I started on my mounted figures with the Andrea Hussars. I then noticed why the horses looked weird. Their necks are too long!

IMG_3629.JPG
I only got round to painting a Chasseur and a Hussar before being made redundant and then getting side-tracked with trenches.
I've never blogged on this lot before because I made them before I ever posted work on the internet.

IMG_1747a.jpg
Andy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Fantastic work Andy, though I'd expect nothing less from you. Good to see these again.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent stuff, always like a good smattering of Nappy’s boys....uniforms were so varied then I think everyone had a different one from everyone else LOL

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
You're a very talented guy. Those figures look great. The adaptations, the painting and the display are all superb.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That's a great idea, Andy, all adapted from one figure. I like the way you take the time to present them too, as with your trench models.
I think it's brilliant!
And thanks for sharing some more figure work.
cheers
Neil

First Name
Andrew
Thanks guys.
Steve, I think our house flood saga is finally over- 19 months on. Hopefully the house stays intact from what the cowboys did and we can move on with out having to wrangle with insurer's tradesmen any more. My run of accidents stopped too, so live is easier and I'm feeling a lot better. I'll try to blog when I can but there are always other pulls on my time.
Andy