3D Printed Boxer Dog bust

• Thread starter OneSmallStep1966
  • Start date
O

OneSmallStep1966

I 3D printed this Boxer Dog bust and tried to paint it to resemble my old dog.

Car filler primer was used to smooth the FDM print layers and I airbrushed/painted using Tamiya/Vellejo acrylics.

This was my first attempt to paint a lifelike object.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi,Norman,wow he turned out just great,would be very happy with him,:smiling:
ok you got my attention,with the ;Car filler primer was used to smooth the FDM print layers ;
please can you give me some more info on this type of paint,as I have some things as well,and don't know ,what it is to use like acetone
or some think else to smooth out the lines.
so any info help greatly appreciated.

O

OneSmallStep1966

hi,Norman,wow he turned out just great,would be very happy with him,:smiling:
ok you got my attention,with the ;Car filler primer was used to smooth the FDM print layers ;
please can you give me some more info on this type of paint,as I have some things as well,and don't know ,what it is to use like acetone
or some think else to smooth out the lines.
so any info help greatly appreciated.
I used an automotive high-build primer, applying several coats to mostly fill the FDM layers.

O

OneSmallStep1966

Thank you all for your kind comments.

@Marcello The first picture is the bust just finished printing, and you can clearly see the FDM print layers. The second picture shows the bust after several layers of high-build automotive primer, not perfect but better than before.

@Jim R perhaps, but it still has a long way to go in terms of ease of use and output quality IMO.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It will come sooner than we think. Remember digital photography? It was going to take twenty years to replace wet film....took about five...

J

Jay-BFG

Jim, you can also get plaster versions (this one is the “Leonardo Collection” yet to paint it up)
676F72E3-636B-4693-8F2E-D9C8281EACFB.jpeg

O

OneSmallStep1966

It will come sooner than we think. Remember digital photography? It was going to take twenty years to replace wet film....took about five...
I’m really into real-space modelling, and on one group I belong to, one of the guys is drawing up 3D models of the Apollo CSM & LM and making them available for sale on Shapeways (a 3D printing service), yes, very expensive, but the models are outstanding.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I used an automotive high-build primer, applying several coats to mostly fill the FDM layers.
ta for the info,Norman,
I do know of that stuff,been around for years in one or another,for car work.
so I,guess its an acetone base ? and will it work in a AB,? as well.
do like the result you get,

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,m finding this interesting,as my mate who dose 3D,prints ,as the older machine or type that dose it by layers.
and he has ,mates ,that it works of lines and is dripped,so your not getting the v-lines in the finished work,with dose help,