3rd kit done - Revell 1/25 Porsche 928s

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Hi all,

Eventually finished this build after 91 hours and it fought me all the way.
The kit is from 1982 and it shows, poor fitting parts, warped bodyshell and floorplan, horrendous moulding lines particularly around the top of both doors and both bumper assemblies cannot be fitted until the body and floor pan/interior tub are married together. Despite all this I am rather pleased with the results. The rear spoiler took 8 hours to fettle and fit. I made a lot of the decals and hand painted the "badges" on the steering wheel and gear knob. Try as I might I could not scratch build a right exterior mirror so the car looks unbalanced. The paint was a mix of Tamiya XF16, X9, X1, X7, and X8 covered with X22 and I think the silver content is scale correct. My first build with an engine to which I added a scratch built distributor and plug wires.

As you can see from the following images this kit represented a German pace/safety/medical car but it was relatively painless to convert to a road car.
this represents a customers car which was badly vandalised in the mid 80s which I repaired and actually resprayed it in Guards Red however I decided to show it in Rosewood Metallic as it was prior to the incident. As you can imagine these were extremely rare in Johannesburg at that time and were conspicuous wherever they went, my customer decided to have a fling with a married woman but used her car when they went out so as not to attract attention. One night his wife and the mistresses husband got together whilst the Porsche was "hidden" in a garage and proceeded to smash every window and light and the mainly soft aluminium body panels with a No. 8 golf iron club making a hell of a mess. Needless to say he had a lot of excuses to fabricate to his wife on his return home!!!! The repairs and respray took months to complete as virtually everything had to be imported and I had to learn how to weld and paint aluminium.

Anyway enjoy the images and any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Stefan.
928 1.jpg928 2.jpg928 10.jpg928 9.jpg928 8.jpg928 7.jpg928 6.jpg928 5.jpg928 4.jpg928 3.jpg

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
The roof was already opened up and came with a separate sunroof panel. I decided to show it 3/4 open so had to cut a chunk out of the 1 piece glass part. Looking at it now I should have painted the clear part showing at the front of the opening in black to represent the flip up wind deflector.
Thanks for the nice comment.

Reactions: JR

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Nice, the one without a beetle engine and in the right end. Lol

Reactions: JR

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Mark, it may not have the engine in the rear and was supposed to replace the 911 range but due to engineering and electronics overcoming physics it never stood a chance.
I drove a 1984 air cooled 911 turbo like Stig up to 80%, after that there were skid marks inside and outside the car. Power on/off oversteer was sudden and if the turbo kicked in mid corner you were quickly exploring the local flora.
The 928 was a brilliant long distance grand tourer which just got better the faster you went but was a little soulless compared to a 911.
Love them both for totally different reasons.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great build Stefan and an even more amazing story to accompany it .
It's got to be said the Members of the Committee worth
2020DB.jpg
Congratulations.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Why thank you John and the esteemed committee for the award. I wasn't sure the anecdotes that accompy most of my proposed builds would be suitable for publication so thanks for the comment and not being bored with the discourse.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nicely done.

The 928 has always been one of my favourite cars but I doubt I'll ever get to own one. That is a lovely rendition of it :thumb2: