41(F) Squadron in 1/48 - NA Harvard T2b

S

snapper41

Hi all;

Well, the finishing line for 41(F) Sqn in 1/48 is in sight! Here is my latest addition, a North American Harvard T2b. What, I hear you ask?? Wasn't 41 Squadron a fighter squadron?? Well yes it was - but in April 1947, for just 14 months, 41 became RAF 12 Group's instrument flying training squadron, cashing in its Spitfire 21s for Harvards and Oxfords, before going on to become a fighter unit again in June 1948 with DH Hornets. They were based at RAF Church Fenton for this (dark) period in the Sqn's history. This 'downgrading' to a training sqn seems to have happened to a lot of famous fighter units at the time, perhaps due to post-war restructuring of the RAF (if anyone knows, I'd like to find out).

This particular machine (KF627) was operated by 41 Sqn for just 3 months between August and November 1947. It was lost in a collision with another Harvard, KF959, near Ternhill in 1952 whilst serving with No 6 FTS.

This is the old Occidental kit, reboxed by Italeri. Not bad, with a few fit issues here and there (notably the glazing) - nicely detailed cockpit and engine. Finished with RAF Trainer Yellow from a Humbrol rattle can, after some pre-shading over white primer. I used MIG Neutral Brown panel line wash afterwards. I took a guess at Trainer Yellow, as it seems that the Silver scheme didn't come in until around 1950 or so; looking at the Air-Britain Harvard File, there are plenty of shots of yellow aircraft dated around 1946/7. The File also shows that 41 Sqn Harvards carried no Squadron-specific codes or markings.

harvard1.jpg

harvard2.jpg

harvard3.jpg

harvard4.jpg

harvard5.jpg

harvard6.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I thought you'd done them all Andy, but I'm glad you haven't I would never have got to see this beauty other wise. Great work alround

S

snapper41

\ said:
Come on...if a bomber squadron can fly helicopters....!
41 (FIGHTER) Squadron! Ok, ok - a Harvard isn't a fighter...but I'm still not doing a flying brick with a big fin!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I thought all fighter pilots during WW2 were trained how to fly on tiger moths then progressed to spits and huri etc

I always thought the Harvard was the American version of a trainer before advancing to mainstream fighters in the US

This is a stunning example and the trainer colour is sublime

We

Well done

Robert

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking Harvard Andy, beautifully finished. And with the centenary in April, you're just about there in time.

\ said:
his 'downgrading' to a training sqn seems to have happened to a lot of famous fighter units at the time, perhaps due to post-war restructuring of the RAF (if anyone knows, I'd like to find out).
It still happens, even outside the UK. It's a way of retaining the history of a special squadron. I see from reading online that No.41 Squadron went through many changes, being renumbered and even being adopted by existing squadrons to continue the legacy.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Beautiful build Andy, lovely scheme and well executed.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Did 41 San ever use the miles master ?

Regards

Robert

S

snapper41

\ said:
Did 41 San ever use the miles master ?
Regards

Robert
No - only the Harvard and the Oxford during this period as a training sqn. They did have a Bf108, and an FW190, but that's a different story entirely!

D

Doug Hughes

Excellent, Andy. The panel wash and exhaust staining are spot on - not too little, not too much!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks really nice. It stands out, not just because of the colour either.