54mm Airfix Scots Greys

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

I'll keep you company Neil, I always like to get the face painting out of the way as it sets the mood. The sculpt of the face lends well to painting so it was down to putting in the right colors.

62.jpg

I have also reset the left arm much higher and given the coat a base of bright red.

63.jpg
64.jpg

Sorry to say I didn't keep track of the painting as I was in a rush...but I have though some on the base...

65.jpg

I mixed up some cement and slate stones for the ground base and coated with fine spackle and generous amounts of thinned white glue and fine sand. With this attack the base had to be masked as above.

66.jpg

I wanted some of the battle debris on the ground so I fashioned a wagon wheel from card, rod and strips following dimensions from an ESCI wagon wheel...

67.jpg

Placed it to check out the composition and then I added a a strip of foil for the iron outer rim and painted it...tall and short staitic grass was added and painted too.

68.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Neil and Scottie for the kind comments. Yes it is one of the better faces I've seen from Airfix. I've not checked the others in my inventory...hope they are just as good.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
The wheel looked quite alone on the base so I decided to add a discarded or dropped lance from the opposing French Lancers. I've never made a lance before so I had assistance from references on how they looked.

68a.jpg

Below is a closer look at the business end of the lance and I believe the two rivets was where the pennant was mounted.
68b.jpg
I made the shaft from satay sticks, the spear and ball carved from sprue and two part putty with the rivetted strip from two lengths of pla strip and stretched sprue. The strap was masking tape cut thin and taped and the excess folded back to act as the wrist tie. I shortened the end that will be dug into the earth.

69.jpg

I positioned it protruding so the pennant would flow down the side. The figure and the horse as can be seen with their base coats. The foil straps were flexible and moved out of the way for easy painting.

70.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie, this only happens if there is reference available and the interest to go beyond what's only given in the kit.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The rider now painted up with full regalia except his canteen and pouch. The horse and harness are still in base coats.

71.jpg

The kit heavy cavalry sword hand guards weren't very good so I looked up some reference and made modifications...
71a.jpg
I had a choice of the sword or the pistol, I chose the sabre and used the pistol as a prop.

72.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Richard and Scottie for the inspring comments. This is my first serious Napoleanic figure and have three more in the stash that hope to be done.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's more on the pennant reference, can't remember where I got this from but it's orange and white.

72a.jpg

Made the pennant from sandwiching two sheets of typewriting paper together with white glue after tracing and painting each side. The purpose of the sandwiched paper is to create the curve with the handle of a paintbrush and it will stay hardened when the glue is set.

73.jpg

Painted the horse and added the reigns with painted foil. The exccess would be teased and cut once the rider is in position. Everthing is quite glossy at this point and bright.

74.jpg

Figure is in and reigns cut. This was where I glued him down. The rifle was a bit fidly to attach but because it was in motion I had the liberty to adjust the strap.

75.jpg

Matted down everything at this point with Testors dullcoat...the spots on the horse were airbrushed.

76.jpg

Added a canon ball just to make it interesting and mud spatters to the hooves, legs and body. I redid the horses eyes as the previous looked toylike. The holes on the pennant were made with a lighted insence stick.

77.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Very inspiring, Richard! I shall be checking this out when I need to do the reins on mine. What paint did you use that didn't crack when you bent them?

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
WOW... i saw the evolution of your work.... you gave to that figure such a natural feeling... the equipment is placed such in a neat and natural manner... love it...
wonderful

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you thank you gentlemen...

Peter, it helps when the figure has that fluid motion. I think Airfix captured this very well.
Neil, firstly I primed it by painting Mr Metal Primer then a layer of Tamiya black and then finally finished it with Vallejo. Not many cracks but it isn't fool proof so touch ups needed once attached.
Gregory, I had fun with it and because the straps were metal I could move it around till satisfied with the pose.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, glad you like it.

Cheers,
Richard