First Name
Steve
Nice to see you are sticking with this project Neil. Keep up the great work

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Steve,
Just because I wasn't posting doesn't mean nothing was happening, I just wasn't comfortable posting my faltering (and sometimes backward ) steps with the painting.
I'm manfully resisting the temptation to start anything else as I know it will never get finished otherwise!
cheers
Neil

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Neil....excellent work on the pose and detail.....with respect to the brass work, try Vallejo game colour sepia wash, it is made for just this sort of situation....

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well hello chaps, long time no post!

I do apologise for the long gaps between updates on this thread, but as often happens I’ve had a large dose of real life and work to disrupt the important stuff we do here.

I must also confess to a loss of mojo on this one which led to a serious amount of distraction researching a new project, which I will start properly when this one is done. I know if I start the new one this will never get finished, and I am trying to avoid having too large a ‘shelf of shame’.

Anyway there is some progress to report with our Scots Grey Gentleman.

He now has overall stripes and buttons, braid up his front, coatee tails and a girdle (yes, mrs…!)

Scots grey detail.jpg
And some clumsy dolt broke his sword……..

I had a little PE and fuse wire fun to keep messrs Jones , Scottie and Mike C interested, although not quite up to their standard

girdle.jpg

In case you can’t tell, the PE is the toggles , which were little T-shapes cut from the fret holding something or other.

The stripes on the girdle (navy and yellow) are actually woven and therefore not exactly 3- dimensional, but I scribed them on the pewter because I know I will never be able to paint them straight without.

I also made the leather inserts in his overalls from tissue because I wanted a different texture when it comes to the painting stage.

IMG_20200315_210623565.jpg

I guess I have learned something from my limited painting experience, and that is that it’s best to have all the detail in the sculpting, because I can’t just ‘suggest’ things with the painting technique.

Anyway that’s all for now, but I am back in the swing of things a bit more now, so hopefully it won’t be another 6 weeks before the next post!

Thanks for looking

Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Neil, just having a catch up.
Really admire the skill and idea you have for this, great work all round .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
so sorry to hear you're not well, fingers crossed it's not too severe.
We are not quite self-isolated yet, but getting close.
Apart from me and SWMBO ,now both working from home,we have our 24 year -old twins, both working from home.
And 6 weeks ago, in rather dramatic circumstances, my eldest daughter moved into our front room with our 7 year old grandson(and eventually, most of her STUFF!).
He ,of course,is on his last day at school for the foreseeable future today, so we are now 5 adults and a kid in a 3 bedroom(but thankfully 2 reception rooms) semi!
I shall be in the loft..............

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
I can't wwait to see it painted for the moment the details are stunning

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Greg.
Unfortunately my painting skills are still rather embryonic, so don't get your hopes up

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Glad this is still going strong. He is looking really good. Working at that scale is timeconsumming and takes real skill.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil

Bravo for your progress on this ambitious project. Good luck with everyone in the house and enjoy that attic.

John