54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Neil
Glad this is still going strong. He is looking really good. Working at that scale is timeconsumming and takes real skill.
Jim
Thanks Jim.
It certainly is time consuming, but that's the whole joy of the hobby, isn't it?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Neil, metal emboidery looking good and admire your persistance...it should be finished after all that hard work put in.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Neil

Bravo for your progress on this ambitious project. Good luck with everyone in the house and enjoy that attic.

John
thanks John.
it's quite tranquil in the loft at the moment, even with Garbage on full volume!

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Neil,
Just caught up, and really admiring the work you have put in - brilliant.
Mike.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Neil. The detail work is stunning.
Cheers
Paul

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hello again chaps,
don’t faint- it’s less than six weeks since my last update! I wonder why?

Whilst waiting for some Milliput to dry on the head I set to work on the equipment.

I started with the scabbard and tried to thin down the plastic rings but I broke them, so I replaced them with wire ones.
IMG_20200315_205703001.jpg
I got away with it on the sabretache but then I discovered the shape was wrong.

IMG_20200323_164155488.jpg

I started making a couple of straps with PE buckles for the sabretache, and then I wondered how they were actually attached (Airfix instructions would have you just glue them to the sword belt). I researched a bit and before I knew what I was doing I found myself in ‘Andy Belsey World’, making a complete miniature sword belt with straps with buckles and god knows what else, and four hours disappeared in a flash and I don’t quite know how it happened but this is what I ended up with…..

IMG_20200324_082110536.jpg

All I have to do now is get it onto the figure convincingly…….

Anyway that’s all for now, thanks for watching

Neil

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing work neil those buckles must be tiny!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well done Neil...let's hope one size fits all. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I’ve had to work from home this week but I have managed to get some buckles and strappage done

IMG_20200327_183847934.jpg

Hmmmm, just noticed I need to add the retaining loops to the water bottle, Doh!

I always hated the way the mould line went round the water bottle strap on these kits, and even in my previous rifleman build I struggled with it. But this time I decided to replace it completely, and naturally it’s so much more robust than just a glue joint on the end of a thin strip of toothpaste tube.

And I also need a closure strap to the pouch. I was trying to figure out how the pouch and carbine belt worked, as Airfix instructions are over simplified, and then I discovered that the attachment of the pouch is entirely incorrect.
IMG_20200328_093526911_HDR.jpg

Airfix would have you stick the belt to the back of the pouch, but in looking at re-enactor photos I realised that it was much more complicated.

It took me a while to find out exactly how it should look, but then I found this in The Thin Red Line by the wonderful Fosten brothers

IMG_20200328_093618011.jpg

(Picture for discussion purposes only)

Which would have helped me with the sword belt and sabretache, but it’s close enough so I’m not changing that!

I altered the carbine swivel from the kit as I couldn’t find anything in brass that would work

IMG_20200327_190545724.jpg

But I did find a better buckle. I was able to curve the straight strip between my fingernails which makes it sit better, but I’m leaving the fitting of that until I’ve nailed the sword belt and the coatee tails

IMG_20200327_192746549.jpg

I also need to make the brass pointy end and retainer to the cross belt.

Thanks for looking
Neil