54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Neil, you won't need to paint all the way in. Add shadows to near black as you go deeper (typing with a straight face).

Cheers,
Richard

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Oh where,Tell me where
has your Highland laddy gone.
He's gone to the war
With his tartan jockstrap on.

According to the old song this is a detail you may have overlooked.
Great work on this.
Jon.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
The kilt will be subdued colours as per https://ageofrevolution.org/200-object/highland-regiment-kilt/

It appears that the picture/painting of the charge may be as accurate as any modern film based on a book = not very.

The Eagle of the French 45th Ligne captured by the Royal Scots Greys. Painting by Stanley Berkeley depicting the famous charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo. The kilted figures carrying muskets are the 92nd Highlanders. According to legend, the men of the 92nd hung on to the stirrups of the Scots Greys during the charge. Although both regiments record it as part of their history, independent eyewitness accounts do not confirm the truth of the "stirrup charge"

p.s. truly impressed by what you are doing, way beyond my thoughts, never mind abilities.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Many thanks Gary. That's a great link.
Whilst I absolutely take your point about the accuracy (or lack of),of the painting, that kilt,original though it is , is 200 years old. Do you not think perhaps it might have faded with age from it's original, vegetable dyed colours? I think probably the artist, for all his artistic licence, was closer in time to the battle than we are in the 21st century.
Although , to be honest, if it looks like any kind of tartan by the time I've finished with it I will be happy!
Thanks for your kind comments too

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I did a bit more to the kilt.
I added a layer of Milliput and roughly formed the pleats with the back of a long scalpel blade.
Kilt 6.jpg
Luckily I remembered to fit the torso and make an impression in the wet Milliput. When it was thoroughly set I refined it with the Dremel and a scalpel.
Kilt 7.jpg
I also added a few improved creases in the lap and the overlapping front of the kilt.
Kilt 8.jpg
I would like to point out that I've never used Duro like this before so I was lucky there. This kilt business is all played by ear- I don't really have a plan .So far I seem to be getting away with it- fingers crossed!
That’s it for now but there’s still more tweaking to be done.
Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

You're more than getting away with it Neil - the work on the kilt is coming along beautifully.

As for fading, I personally don't think it would have been much so at the time. It would take years in the open for tartan to fade to any extent, and both Wellington and Napoleon insisted that their me kept their gear and clothing as spruce as possible (Napoleon apparently had a thing about well-brushed bearskins). Dirt is a different matter...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's some terrific putty work on the kilt Neil, never had much luck with Miliput. Seems perfect for your application though. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Brilliantly done Neil, the use of milliput for the plaid is unusual and thought duro would have been better but you've pulled it off. Sometimes unplanned procedures work well when you have a creative mind and can visualise the process and solutions as you go along. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Brilliantly done Neil, the use of milliput for the plaid is unusual and thought duro would have been better but you've pulled it off. Sometimes unplanned procedures work well when you have a creative mind and can visualise the process and solutions as you go along. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Thanks Richard.
I was originally planning to use Duro for the second layer of kilt but its very much a modelling medium and I'm not so good at that. I am more of a carver and Milliput is better suited to my skillset. I have also found that the Duro underlayer is quite rubbery and moves around alot, while the Milliput is solid as a rock, which makes it easier to work on afterwards.
That said, I'm thinking it will be helpful to remove the kilt completely for painting, and the Duro has made that a possibility. If I had started with the Milliput it would probably shatter when I tried to remove it.
So hopefully I have got lucky there,we'll wait and see.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm in agreement with Richard, extremely well done. Rick H.:thumb2:
Cheers Rick,
I know what you mean about Milliput and I struggled with it myself at first. But once I discovered that you don't have to get the modelling stage 100% right, that you can carve it and sand it and reapply I found I could work with it. Another of the factors is that it gets firmer as it cures, so you can use that to advantage once you get used to it. I have tried lots of other stuff over the years, and I am always interested in new products, but I keep coming back to the tried and tested. I just wish it was easier to mix!!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I’ve had another session with jock’s kilt and I think it’s there now.
The painting has it flying in a bit more motion to his left, but I don’t feel like re-doing it.
Kilt 9.jpg
I finally found the mojo to get the equipment sorted, and annoyingly it didn’t take too much effort.
Since I have been paying more attention to accuracy in this period I've never liked the Airfix haversack, so I used a Historex one.The cartridge pouch had a big sink mark in it so I trimmed the flap down and replaced it with toothpaste tube foil. I added a couple of Historex buckles to the rolled greatcoat and sharpened up the definition.
The pack straps are attached but I’m going to leave the cross belts, haversack and canteen separate for painting this time. Fingers crossed.
equipment.jpg
For the eagle-eyed among you, he does have lace on his cuffs but it is out of sight.
I just have to do the musket sling, and a few other little details and he’ll be ready for the wet stuff.

Thanks all for watching

Neil