54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

D

Deleted member 6559

Superb work Neal, and 7K plus hits - this is becoming a build of the year.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Neil, really good stuff on the kilt work...just keep the camera at safe angles ok :smiling6: I like the ribbon and foil work.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
It’s not been all World War One for me the last couple of days – we’ve stopped off at Waterloo for a while as well.
Jock needed work on his hands, so the Duro love was spread around a bit.
I’ve always admired Bill Horan’s technique of chopping off the fingers and re-sculpting them properly gripping the rifle, but I’ve never tried it for myself, mostly because I didn’t like Duro. So as I’m a bit more comfortable with it now I thought I would give it a go, and I’m very pleased with the result.
gripping hand.jpg
I will probably do it always from now on.
I also separated the hand and opened up the sleeve with the Dremel, and then inserted a nice long copper wire into the wrist to keep the hand and musket separate for painting. I’ve already knocked the bayonet off once, and that was being careful!
I was uneasy about the delicate wire pin attaching the right hand to the Grey’s stirrup, so I Dremelled out the right sleeve and inserted a fatter and longer wire into the right wrist.
right Wrist.jpg
IMG_20200626_174728631.jpg
IMG_20200626_174553505.jpg
The wrist had to be built up a bit.
A less lazy man might re-do the whole hand with Duro, having established it as a successful technique….
Actually, it was scary enough holding the finished Scots Grey and just doing the tiny amount of work that I did- I think I would just give up if I broke something.
And there’s that spot of brown paint on the horse’s leg, mustn’t forget that.
So this is sort of how it looks

IMG_20200626_174845627.jpg
I don’t think there’s any more excuses for avoiding the wet stuff……
But I’m going to do a practice run on the tartan first.
Many thanks for following

Cheers

Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh, come on now - sculpting fingers?!!!!! You are so lucky to have these skills. I'm full of admiration.

Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing neil , superb work , cheers tony

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
John- That's very kind of you to say
Peter- it wasn't anything like as difficult as I expected- I should have done it years ago, but thanks. Believe me, sculpting a whole hand from scratch is a different kettle of fish ALTOGETHER! Bur now the other hand is niggling.........
Richard, Tim, Simon and Tony- thank you all so much, it's great to be appreciated.
That's what I love about this forum - like-minded people who understand the effort and concentration required to make these things.
My family are never less than complimentary about my stuff (when I show it to them), but I know they don't understand what's gone into it all and they aren't really interested on any more than a superficial level.
And my son (who does understand) just takes the pi$$!
So thank you all again, friends
cheers
Neil

Reactions: JR