54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Peter Neil, and when it's in place in the build it will blend in. Good result though. Material I think is hard as it is, compound it with that type of pattern and its doubly so.

First Name
Wouter
That's more like it! That Ace Mr. B. tip sure did it!
If you think it's still too shiny you can always try a different one. Which matt do you use? I used Model Master flatt in the past and that one is really dead flat. Yesterday I tried the Gunze one and I like it's 'flattnes' as well.

Cheers

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Rick, John , Ian , Wouter - many thanks indeed!
I still need to get the yellow lines thinner but I understand the general technique now.
I am using Alclad Matt which has worked well in the past, even over Klear and decals - I must have thinned it too much, maybe?
Anyway, I 'm hoping to go for it today.
Fingers crossed!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Understatement of the year. It looks very good indeed.
Jim
very kind, Jim, but it's not the real thing!
I've got to get it right on a much more complicated shape
But your confidence is encouraging,thanks

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
So all the bits and pieces - including the kilt- are separated for painting and are primed

IMG_20200703_100421138.jpg
I've decided to go straight in for the kilt right away,in the hope that everything else will be downhill after that!

IMG_20200703_100548930.jpg
During the painting I have discovered a couple of lumps and bumps which will give me grief when trying to paint the lines, so I had better sort them out before I go any further
cheers
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I didn't get as far as I had hoped with the kilt- it's bl88dy difficult!
IMG_20200703_222512234.jpg

IMG_20200703_222453042.jpg

I think the exaggerated droop of the front (taken from the image) has required the pattern to radiate more than it really should, but if it wasn't for that we would probably see Jock's bits. Like much unseen interior detail , we know they are there, but in this case nobody really wants to see them, do they?
I did start painting some of the other parts as well. I've never left off the cross belts before, so I'm hoping that works out alright.

IMG_20200704_092540208.jpg

I hope to finish the kilt today, at least.
That's it for now, thanks for looking

D

Deleted member 6559

That looks very good indeed Neil. I find myself that if there is a pattern, the drive is to get it perfect tends to outweigh other considerations, such as the fall of shadow and interruptions made by folds etc. Generally, if the lighting is right, the whole will look right.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I have seen tartan decals, but I imagine with the pleats they would be worse to do than painting.
On my 28mm wargaming figures I omit the vertical stripes on the pleated section, but then I'm painting for something to look good passable from 3' away.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
That looks very good indeed Neil. I find myself that if there is a pattern, the drive is to get it perfect tends to outweigh other considerations, such as the fall of shadow and interruptions made by folds etc. Generally, if the lighting is right, the whole will look right.
cheers Peter,
I absolutely agree- I think you really only need to shade patterns at the larger scales.
I'm certainly not worrying about it (never mind CAPABLE) beyond the pre-shading, which has pretty much disappeared already!