54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have seen tartan decals, but I imagine with the pleats they would be worse to do than painting.
On my 28mm wargaming figures I omit the vertical stripes on the pleated section, but then I'm painting for something to look good passable from 3' away.
I can't imagine even contemplating tartan at 28mm! :flushed: :fearful:
Welcome, by the way

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I can't imagine even contemplating tartan at 28mm! :flushed: :fearful:
Welcome, by the way
It's just a matter of simplifiying it right down, more an impression than the actual pattern. I made a decision a while back that on my wargaming stuff I'm not painting figures but units, so not as much individual detailing. The stuff is going to be looked at from 3' mostly. Commanders might get a bit more attention, but not much.

And thanks for the welcome

Reactions: JR

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
View attachment 391507

What you are doing is way beyond me, but i think you may be worrying too much.
I swear that in the grime of battle that the yellow would be really hard to see, and at 6" the model would be same distance as a soldier at 16 ft ( 5 metres ish )

The dye would have been ''napthol yellow'' http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Oil/Grumbacher/Max/Naphthol-Yellow-Hue/Naphthol-Yellow-Hue.html

View attachment 391508
Cheers Gary,
I am using modern re-enactors as my reference, on the assumption that they have done a lot of diligent research into their subject.
like this,for instance.
gettyimages-477570084-2048x2048.jpg
It also helps with understanding how the kit is actually worn, rather than the ideal, parade-ground regulation manner. And look how knackered their bonnets are compared to the illustrated(and model) versions.
I notice ,though , that these guys(and I swear that's a Gal in the middle) are wearing their sporrans, and way back in the beginnings of this thread somebody said they didn't wear them in battle, so I decided to leave it off.
Hmmmm, it would help disguise the lap problems:thinking:
As for worrying too much,thanks for the comforting thought, but believe me I am not a perfectionist, so when it's good enough I will be quite satisfied. That said, if you aim at nothing you invariably hit it!
Hopefully by aiming high I can A) get a reasonable impression of the tartan and B) improve my painting skills.
cheers and thanks for your input
Neil

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
IIRC no sporrans during the Napoleonic wars but they were worn in the Crimea.
And after a quick check the Big Hairy Sporran was introduced in 1816.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting experimental work here Neil. Tartan work coming on Nicely. There is a good tutorial on Planet Figure here https://www.planetfigure.com/pages/Painting-Tartans/
if you haven’t seen it....
Nice to see a wet pallet in use as well....I’ve also started using one again. I made mine as you described, but have used the proper pallet papers because I’ve found parchment paper keeps the paint a little too wet. One trick you might be able to use with the yellow stripes is to correct them by cutting them back with the original shade Underneath. The mix should still be useable if you’ve used the wet pallet.....

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
thanks Gary and Karl
Gary- sounds like the voice of experience?
So I can't hide my poor painting behind it,then:tired:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Interesting experimental work here Neil. Tartan work coming on Nicely. There is a good tutorial on Planet Figure here https://www.planetfigure.com/pages/Painting-Tartans/
if you haven’t seen it....
Nice to see a wet pallet in use as well....I’ve also started using one again. I made mine as you described, but have used the proper pallet papers because I’ve found parchment paper keeps the paint a little too wet. One trick you might be able to use with the yellow stripes is to correct them by cutting them back with the original shade Underneath. The mix should still be useable if you’ve used the wet pallet.....
Cheers Tim I will check that link out.
Good to know a bout the parchment paper as I was planning to use that when the pack runs out.
I think cutting back is a good solution, and I should have done it in my experiments.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have two more stages completed on the kilt to report.
First the lighter green squares
IMG_20200704_161318127.jpg

and then the thin black wash lines either side of the green
IMG_20200704_164336378.jpg

These actually help to define the edges of the smaller squares, which is good, because I found them very difficult. I might have to redefine the vertical ones, they are a bit faint.
Then all I have to do is the same thing on the inside.......

I have also started to think about the base, which will be a muddy field with a trampled down crop of rye, as per my 54mm French Imperial Grenadier model
So I have made a start on a few strips of rye ,the process for which can be seen HERE
IMG_20200704_165800215.jpg
I can't really work out the size or shape of the base until all the figures are done and put together, but I think these will be enough for what's left of the standing crop.
The next stage for these is leaves made from raffia, followed by painting.
That's it for now. It should have been more but I got conned into gardening.
thanks for looking
Neil

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on well now Neil. With reference to the inside of the kilt, I’m not sure, but I think the pattern is different (probably Colours reversed) due to the way the material is woven...might be worth looking It up first.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Coming on well now Neil. With reference to the inside of the kilt, I’m not sure, but I think the pattern is different (probably Colours reversed) due to the way the material is woven...might be worth looking It up first.
I don't think it would be as it's threads woven together in a pattern, it may be lined with hodden grey fabric though.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Do you know what ,Tim, whether it is or not- that's a rivet too far!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I don't think it would be as it's threads woven together in a pattern, it may be lined with hodden grey fabric though.
I believe kilts are lined, but only as far down as the stitching of the pleats, i.e hip level.
I appreciate you are trying to save me some work, but I think artistic license demands a gesture towards tartan

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I would just go for the guys apron on the right of the photo Neil !

Joking apart think it's coming on well, we always whittle about detail , but as has been said from a distance that it will be viewed it will look perfect. That second attempt look pretty good to me.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done Neil , a cracking result. Bet your relieved.