54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

First Name
Andrew
While on this topic of whether to add certain parts... Neil isn't the first, and won't be the last.
My good friend Adrian Bay sculpted an Agincourt archer a few years ago. Most of them had dysentery, so Adie had his stockings around his ankles and looking very pale. He wasn't sure how much to add inside his flowing shirt and did add everything in the end - for those who were really curious! (Poor Adie has Chrohns, so was modelling from experiences he would rather have not had!)

I'm pretty sure Neil's kilt will cover everything, unless he's very well developed in that department!? Dobbin on the other hand was there doing the splits, without a kilt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Neil looking very good indeed. Can't do figures for love nor money, so impressed with anyone who can!!

ATB

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not only are you a man of anatomy skills Neil but I see your a milliner as well .Good grief is there no end to your talents !:flushed::surprised::flushed:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Gets better and better and we even get humour regarding his gentleman bits.
Jim

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks gents!
I got the pyrogravure out last night and attacked the highlander's bonnet.
This is a curious kit in that the plastic is not like the usual airfix stuff. It's brittle and very glossy, more like older, cheaper kits. Some of the detail is a bit soft and there are sink holes and even bubbles.
The bonnet was particularly devoid of texture so I spent a good hour or more scribing feathers.
I forgot to take a 'before' picture, so I found on old one in the spares box for comparison
bonnet.jpg
cheers
Neil

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Great work on the bonnet.I think I remember Stanley Catchpol doing exactly the same in an old ( very old!) MM.Except he probably used a heated needle stuck in a cork.
Jon.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Great work on the bonnet.I think I remember Stanley Catchpol doing exactly the same in an old ( very old!) MM.Except he probably used a heated needle stuck in a cork.
Jon.
Stan is my Guru, and I refer to his bible all the time- a MIL-MOD Special which I had to pay £10 for recently :anguished: (was probably 25p at the time!) but well worth it .

Just found a pic- £1.50 actually
Stan Catchpol.jpg
as Andy mentioned a while back- he was actually Bryan Fosten.
Legend!

First Name
Andrew
Just having a catch up after my latest drama. Hopefully that's not a holly leaf!? I think he'd prefer one of the feathers from your bonnet.
I too have a Gospel according to St Stan in my collection, but mine is one I bought at the time.
Andy

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I’ve been racking my brains from the outset about precisely how to engineer the Scotsman in the air, and this weekend I thought it was finally time to just get stuck in and see what happens.

The first thing I had to do was firmly anchor the Scots Grey to his horse so he wouldn’t move about whist I was positioning the Highlander. So he got a pin through his crotch into the saddle.

I’m just brutal, me….

Next I needed a tightly clenched right hand for the Highlander. In my sculpting days I would have had to make it myself for copyright reasons, but as this is just a private project I can be lazy, so I found one in the spares box.

I drilled the wrist first for a stronger connection to the rest of the Scotsman. Then I drilled down through the thumb and closed fingers very carefully, starting with a 0.5mm bit and gradually increasing via 0.8mm to 1.2mm for the stirrup leather. This I made from metal toothpaste tube, inserted it through the hand and glued to the Scots grey’s inner thigh (Steady the Buffs!)
IMG_20191207_131104748_HDR.jpg

I tentatively glued the hand to the Scots Grey’s leg and left it to dry overnight.

Incidentally, I am using Historex stirrups and bits as they are bit more accurate in shape and more finely moulded.

I hesitantly fitted the rest of the Highlander to his hand and -BINGO!
IMG_20191207_142844091_HDR.jpg
I couldn't believe it wasn't more difficult! I am bound to tweak it as I work through the details, but it's there in essence, so I can move on.
I am now going to concentrate on the Cuirassier, and hopefully I might even get some paint on him before too long.

Thank you all for looking in and contributing

Cheers
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

That has worked brilliantly Neil. The liveliest dio coming together that I think I've ever seen.

Mention of Stan Catchpole/Bryan Fosten brings tears of nostalgia to my eyes.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Neil,
This is incredible work I wish I could do justice to figures. the last figure I tried to modify looked like he had been hit by a train lol.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Neil.

It reminds me of the old £5 note, where Wellington(??) was on his horse and there was a guy lying underneath. Noel Edmonds did a Sunday radio show at the time and asked people to ring in with what they thought the guy on the floor was saying. Ran for quite a few weeks.

Its amazing what stuff jogs your memory. I will go back and sit quietly in the corner again. Permission to carry on LOL