54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Scottie , Steve B , Jim, Steve J, John and Ian,
thank you very much chaps!
I was hoping to show some progress after this weekend but all I managed was a coat of primer on the cheval ( see what I did there........?;):nerd: ).
I was pleasantly surprised that there are no touch-up issues with the surface finish so I can proceed with finishing the tack , and then get some proper paint on him.
NO idea when that will be as it's a busy social whirl for me this week - I might get to the bench Thursday evening.
I'm clearly not going to finish this in December as per the GB timeframe, but I live my working life by deadlines so I'm b*gg*red if I'm going to worry about one in my hobby- no offence, Jim & Samson:blow-kiss:
cheers chaps
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Sorry for the long hiatus, chaps, but I do have progress to report.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas with lots of mogelling pressies from Santa?

After the primer I added the various straps and buckles to the French horse.
IMG_20191221_183643487.jpg
I forgot to mention earlier that I added a tongue to his mouth. Interestingly, in my research online about how the bit was arranged I never found any pics of a horse with its mouth open, so Airfix’s sculptor used a bit of license there. But this poor horse IS in an extreme situation and probably would be bellowing in pain or at least gasping for breath.

I added Historex buckles to the valise.
IMG_20191221_183722019.jpg
Then I started work on the bit and reigns. I’m using a Historex one which comes with buckles and a couple of other things I can’t identify.bit & things.jpg
Does anybody know where these should go?? this isn't the one I used, as you'll see below, but the mystery parts seem to be the same on all Historex bits.

I drilled the backs of the bit and inserted a wire-
IMG_20191222_142722457.jpg
maybe that’s what the twisty thing is, but I couldn’t see how it fitted together, and why isn’t it symmetrical?

I attached the reigns from toothpaste tube foil with their buckles but I decided to leave them off for painting, as they need to be lying around as if loosely dropped
IMG_20191222_154034066.jpg

And that, my friends, apart from a few straps and belts on the Cuirassier himself, is that!
IMG_20191226_194444373_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191226_194347789_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191226_194527242_HDR.jpg

Bring on the wet stuff!
cheers and thanks for looking
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Neil. The piece with two rings is a strap that runs between the nose band and cheek band under the head. The twisted piece is for the end of the strap that attached to it and was tied to the saddle - it was a long halter, so twisted to shorten it when not in use.

fc37a7ff4462ac8e79f2645dd3d2e2c6.jpg1160_a1.jpg005.jpg

The conversion is fantastic - beautifully done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Peter, that makes sense now, after years of bafflement :thumb2:
And thanks for your kind comment

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
Absolutely outstanding. As Steve says 'Just keeps getting more impressive'
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well, thank you Steve and Jim.
It certainly has been fun so far. I'll post some pictures of paint soon, but not being a Peter Day or Steve Brodie I'm not bothering with WIP shots- there's nothing to learn from my painting ability other than what NOT to do :tears-of-joy:!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Sorry chaps it's been almost a month since my last installment, but we do now have PAINT!
Painted Cuirassier.jpg
I had a few mojo dips along the way ,and quite a few distractions, but I finally got there.
And no matt lacquer c*ck ups this time, thanks goodness. Although looking at this pic I see his arms are still quite shiny, grrr!
Painting is still very much a hit-and-miss dark art for me, so I'm quite happy with this.
I will weather them when the whole lot are finished, for consistency.
Here's another view
IMG_20200128_201324709_HDR.jpg
I haven't even looked at the other guys in all this time , so it will probably be a while before we see any more progress.
Thanks for looking
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well thank you very kindly, chaps, for the encouragement.
I forgot to mention that I have left the bit and reins off until he is finally in position on the base.
thanks again
Neil

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Wow very nice paintwork Neil! :thumb2:
Love the figure pose etc
Steven

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Looking really good Neil. Might I make a suggestion though? Give the brasswork a wash of thinned black or very dark brown, it'll bring out the detail more. If it dulls it down too much you can dry-brush it with gold to bring out the highlights. Looking forward to seeing some paint on the Sweaties!

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well done Neil:thumb2:...for posture and pose as well as painting. Accentuating the finer details with a little wash as Alex has mentioned can pop things out.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Steven, Alex, Richard
thanks very much for your comments and input
I did actually wash the metallics but I guess made it too subtle!