54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ian, Peter , Jim & Andy-
Thank you very much indeed, I'm enjoying it again.
Not much left to do with the Scots Grey now and then I can get some paint on him

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I mentioned before that I had broken his sword, but what I didn’t say was that I’d lost it!
So I have been mulling over how to make a new one. I don't have another Scots Grey in the stash, but I could have raided my Airfix Lifeguard kit, but then what would I do for a sword when I come to build that? I suppose I could have used a Historex one, but I was on a roll now and I decided to see if I could make one from some 6 thou(0.15mm) brass strip I had.

I held my breath and filed an edge and a point on both sides with a needle file. Then I held my breath again and scribed the blood channel – I couldn’t believe I hadn’t c*cked it up!

IMG_20200327_202605469.jpg

I had left it over length because I needed to set it into the grip, and the obvious way is how it is done in real life by narrowing the blade into a tang. Now this blade is 1.82mm wide and I need to trim away 2/3rds of it somehow. I thought of filing but I was worried about bending it, so I turned to my trusty jeweller’s saw with a 60 TPI blade(teeth per inch for the continentals among us)
IMG_20200327_203639395.jpg

I gripped it in a pin vice and held my breath for a third time,
IMG_20200327_203106360.jpg
And then a fourth, and b*gger me, I got away with it!

IMG_20200327_203623987.jpg

I measured the tang with my digital calipers and it was 0.72mm so I used a 0.75mm bit and drilled into the sword hilt. I actually started with a 0.5mm drill and then enlarged it, just to be on the safe side, and I even got away with that!
IMG_20200327_205038065.jpg

Did I mention that I am quite pleased with this……..?

Sorry for the self-congratulatory tone of this post but I was so dreading dealing with this. I think it was this that was slowing down the progress and affecting the mojo, but now I feel like I am BACK!

Thanks for looking and the encouraging comments, it really helps

Neil

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ya gotta love it, when a plan comes together! Well done Neil! Built the way a good edged weapon should be!!:thumb2:
Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Neil

How are yer? Staying safe I hope. I just popped in to see how you are doing and it's great to see how you are overcoming all the issues on such a small scale. Terrific work

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
thanks chaps!
I've had a VERY busy day at work today, setting up our 3D printers to print Face Shields to donate to the NHS

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/25857-prusa-protective-face-shield-rc3

An online group has been formed to co-ordinate the printing,assembly and distribution of these, so as our printers are currently idle(we have 10) I thought we had better step up to the plate.
My boss has agreed to pay for materials so it's go go go, and no worries about being arrested on the way to work....

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Happy Easter Chaps!

I was about to fit the bearskin to the head and I decided I didn’t like what I had previously done with the foul weather cover, which I had made from tissue.

I was looking for something else when I found some self-adhesive foil tape that central heating engineers use and I thought I would have a go at using that for the oilskin.

Here’s the old one
bearskin 5.jpg

It seems to have got furry over time.

Anyway I replaced the tissue with the foil and now I’m happier.
IMG_20200330_212930484.jpg

I made a tied lace from thin wire and added chin scales from Historex- they will need a lace too.

I removed the coatee tails and fitted a dummy sword belt, so that I could resculpt the tails in a more realistic position under the weight of the sword belt.

IMG_20200330_212825266.jpg

I added turnback lace from lead foil and then fitted the swordbelt proper

tails 2.jpg

And then before I knew it I had fitted almost all the equipment.
I made the slide rail and ring for attaching the carbine to the cross belt, which is missing from the Airfix model.
IMG_20200412_220236827.jpg

And I remade the trigger because it got broken somehow and then I had to keep up with Richard’s model and make the guard as well.

So think he is finally DONE –except for the painting, of course.
IMG_20200412_173221064.jpgIMG_20200412_173641201.jpg

I’ve left off the water bottle and I can remove the carbine until after painting.

I’ve just got to finish his horse now, and then I will get some paint on them both.

thanks for looking in
Neil

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cracking work with all the belts etc Neil :thumb2:

Before you start throwing paint about do you think his right arm looks a little weedy and devoid of creases, and an elbow?