54mm Charge of the Scots Greys

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing work neil , superb attention to detail ( his todger is frightening !) the 3d printing worked a treat , very complicated stuff but you did it perfectly . Its looking amazing now , cant wait to see it in all its glory , cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Neil

Looking very good indeed. Well done!!

Andrew

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ralph, Richard, Tony, Ian and Andrew,
thanks for your continued interest and encouragement

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Those resin prints look very nice

I can make 3D cad models no problem but my PLA 3D printer does not really give good enough quality for fine details

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
thanks Simon
I'm lucky we have a Form 3 resin printer at work. At £5-6K it's way out of my personal budget!
We have Ultimakers as well for PLA and I've had some good results from them, but nothing as fine as this.
There are hobby level resin printers on the market at around the £300 -400 mark, but I'd still have to win the lottery to get one past the authorities!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well, I’ve had a month off from this and today I’m back in the saddle.
You will no doubt remember we left poor Jock in a state of embarrassment with a stiff breeze around the Trossachs!
I had broken out the Duro for the French Grenadier’s buttons and I knew I would have a lot left over, so I talked myself into making Jock decent.
I rolled the Duro out on a granite chopping board between two sheets of greaseproof paper and cut it into a rough semi-circle.
IMG_20200610_162110801_HDR.jpg
The kilt is actually a straight piece of fabric which is straight at the front and gathered into many pleats at the back, but I tried that first and I couldn’t get it to the shape required by the image. So I went for this and it worked better.

kilt 1.jpg
When it came to the back I had a bit more trouble so I tried a bit harder and used my old pattern-making trick from art school.
This involves making cuts almost through a strip of paper the width of the kilt and taping it in position around his waist.
kilt 2.jpg
The coat tails got in the way so I had to take off the torso.

I traced around the template and cut it out of paper
Kilt 3.jpg
I then used it to cut the Duro to shape.

Kilt 4.jpg
Once it’s dry I will add the pleat detail over the top.
This may turn out to be a bit crude, so I might have to do it again, we’ll see.
But at least we are back up and running with this, and hopefully this is the home stretch!
Thanks for looking in
Neil

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I believe you are capable of a little kilt painting.....just make sure you break out the proper shade of "plaid". :rolling: Rick H.

D

Deleted member 6559

Relieved that he's go some protection from the thistles at last. Great work and Vallejo Black Watch tartan should be just the ticket - I was looking at a 92nd Highlander figure today and decided against buying it due to tartanophobia.