54mm Waterloo Cornfield Base-A Blast From The Past

First Name
Andrew
Looking great Neil! You’ll have to have some of the rye trodden down or he’ll be hidden!

Sorry for being a ‘bolt counter’ but I read elsewhere that you said that St Stan was really Sid Horton. His name was really Byran Fosten. He and his brother were pioneers in our world.

Below are some of his tips on the Historex Agents website. You should recognise his drawing style, as these are credited to Byran

ttp://www.historexagents.com/shop/tips_hxkits.php

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/tips_metal.php

Andy

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work on the Rye field Neil. Don't forget to make some place mats out of the leftover raffia. Ah the memories LOL

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Looking great Neil! You’ll have to have some of the rye trodden down or he’ll be hidden!

Absolutely! and I'm going to tint it green as well, because it wouldn't have been so ripe in June

Sorry for being a ‘bolt counter’ but I read elsewhere that you said that St Stan was really Sid Horton. His name was really Byran Fosten. He and his brother were pioneers in our world.

Below are some of his tips on the Historex Agents website. You should recognise his drawing style, as these are credited to Byran

ttp:tongue-out3:/www.historexagents.com/shop/tips_hxkits.php

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/tips_metal.php

Andy

yes of COURSE! Bryan Fosten's drawing style is SO distinctive, that makes absolute sense!
Sorry for the misinformation everyone!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I feel a thread coming on- a sort of 'then and now'
I have a couple more things I could share that have survived the various moves and purges of life
I do envy you a bit having some of your early work around. My bedroom ceiling (as a boy) had a complete air force of all nations. Nothing of that era survives.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I do envy you a bit having some of your early work around. My bedroom ceiling (as a boy) had a complete air force of all nations. Nothing of that era survives.

It's only a few figures really, Colin.
I too had an airforce on my ceiling, and tanks and trucks and armies- all gone for landfill!

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I Still have the Catchpole Collection and most of the mags too, fond memories of learning to model "proper"
Paul

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Morning All!
I have some progress to report.
I painted the ground after doubling the number of furrows-whether it's accurate or not I don't know, but I've done it now and I'm not undoing it!
IMG_20190530_201121187.jpg

I tinted the corn green as threatened - Waterloo was in June so I imagine it wouldn't have been golden yet.
IMG_20190530_201013998.jpg

here's a shot of the first furrow- looks promising, I think.
IMG_20190530_202743804.jpg
I used Evo-Stik in the end for this as it grabs instantly and is brown, unlike PVA which is clear but shiny, and doesn't hold the stalks upright without patience(which I don't have a lot of).
And here is the (almost) finished article.

IMG_20190530_215258119.jpg

It took me about 2 hours to do this, and there are 227 stems, for the benefit of those who care( we know who you are, Steve).
That's a guess because I couldn't bring myself to actually count them!
Looking at it now I wish I had been a bit more careful to get the ears more uniform,as it looks more like a hedgerow than a cornfield,but hell it's done now.
I quite fancy adding a flower or two- poppy, cornflower- any ideas, anyone?
I'll leave it a couple of days and then start the process of trampling it down, but not too much,I think.
thanks for looking
Neil

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Morning All!
I have some progress to report.
I painted the ground after doubling the number of furrows-whether it's accurate or not I don't know, but I've done it now and I'm not undoing it!
View attachment 343592

I tinted the corn green as threatened - Waterloo was in June so I imagine it wouldn't have been golden yet.
View attachment 343593

here's a shot of the first furrow- looks promising, I think.
View attachment 343594
I used Evo-Stik in the end for this as it grabs instantly and is brown, unlike PVA which is clear but shiny, and doesn't hold the stalks upright without patience(which I don't have a lot of).
And here is the (almost) finished article.

View attachment 343595

It took me about 2 hours to do this, and there are 227 stems, for the benefit of those who care( we know who you are, Steve).
That's a guess because I couldn't bring myself to actually count them!
Looking at it now I wish I had been a bit more careful to get the ears more uniform,as it looks more like a hedgerow than a cornfield,but hell it's done now.
I'll leave it a couple of days and then start the process of trampling it down, but not too much,I think.
thanks for looking
Neil

Send me some more close up photos and I will count the stalks for you. Do you want the amount of Rye seeds counted as well?? LOL

Looking forward to seeing your crop circles. Terrific work

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well now, what splendid scale horticultural skills you have. That looks great.

D

Deleted member 6559

That's turned out rather well Neil. Very convincing indeed.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Send me some more close up photos and I will count the stalks for you. Do you want the amount of Rye seeds counted as well?? LOL

Looking forward to seeing your crop circles. Terrific work
Crop circles- now there's an idea! :tears-of-joy:
Thanks for the offer of the count but I don't really want to know,now- I'm moving on. I had to get this finished before anything else as the bench was disgusting. I've just purged it and will get back to the rifleman asap.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Well now, what splendid scale horticultural skills you have. That looks great.
Thanks Colin, unfortunately not translatable to real life gardening. I've got more hedge to trim this weekend, not looking forward to it:anguished:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve

Here are some photos of the battlefield that might give you some inspiration for vegetation

DSC02564.JPGDSC02565.JPGDSC02566.JPGDSC02568.JPGDSC02569.JPGDSC02570.JPGDSC02571.JPGDSC02572.JPG

Reactions: JR

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil