654 heavy panzer battalion tactic numbers

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
Hi all, I am looking for 654th heavy panzer battalions jagdpanther organisational layout so I can pick a nice tactical number.
I have found some references saying as follows:

Jagdpanther battalion
- Battalion HQ with a couple of command halftracks (SdKfz 250/1).
- Supply company (as above).
- 1 Jagdpanther company, with three platoons.
- 2 Jagdpanzer IV companies, each with three platoons.

So the numbers should be all start 1(1st company) so
111-114
121-124
131-134

But I am seeing 203, 212, 234. Could some clear up my understanding of panzer tactic number please

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Aexander,
I've just had a swift look through Karlheinz Munch's Combat History Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 654 appendices, firsty there is no mention of them being equipped with any Jagdpanzer IV which doesn't surprise as 654 was a heavy Abteiung and the Jagdpanzer IV was a medium vehicle so the 2nd company woud be made up of Jagdpanthers but at varying dates it didn't have a full compliment. if you can give me an idea of the dateine of the vehicle I can send you the corresponding 1st and 2nd companies order of battle numbering.
regards Jim

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Units were scratch reconstituted in the field and could contain almost anything in 1945. SPA 653 showed a Jagdtiger, a TigerII, 4 Panthers, 2 PzrIVs, a Nashorn, a PzrIII, a Hummel w/drilling, 2 Shermans, etc. on 31 March 1945, so as Jim says, the date is important. PaulE

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
@minitnkr @Jim & Samson
I am looking for G1 Normandy no zimmerit and a G2 Hungry way.
Also looking for some guidance too on panzer companies and their organisation

So is the site wrong then?
As I have seen a 654th showing 314 so 3rd company, 1st platoon, 4th tank
As they only show 2 companies for Jagdpanthers

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Your last sentence is correct. I don't understand your first sentence. Panzer Companys generally have 2 tanks in the HQ sect., & 4 or 5 in each of 3 or 4 pltns. Hvy pzrjgr cos usually include flak, armored recovery & ammunition sections as well as extended HQ sections in their company TO&Es. Here again, dates determine availability of equipment & how organized. HTH. I will look for specific Jagdpanther TO&E, but Jim prolly has better info. on what was where when. PaulE

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Aexander,
I'm not brave enough to say a website is wrong but thebook I refer to in my previous post is written around unit records and units urvivors recollections combined with other officialperiod documents, it a combines to 663 pages. I don't know which website you are referringto so can't comment further on that, the book also does not differentiate between G1 or G2 deliveries.
regards Jim

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
My resources show Bat. 654 authorized 3 companies of Jagdpanthers w/14 each. Likely 3 pltns of 4 each w/2 in co stabs. Initial deliveries were late and the full complement was delayed till Aug 44. Also, in Sept. 44 Hitler ordered the org. for new & reconstituted units be changed to one company of Jagdpanther & two companies of sturmIIIs or JagdpzrIVs. My source does not say how many losses were incurred or if the 654th was engaged before the complement was delivered and often when loses were consoladated vehicles were not renumbered. Thus there may have been only two companies, but some were numbered for a third. Jim's source is much more comprehensive.
Jagdpanther_organization_gliederung March 44.jpg
Diagram for discussion illustration purposes only.
HTH. PaulE