6th German plane, the Me 262 B-1a/U1 Night fighter from Revell 1:72 scale

S

Saber

The addiction to German aircraft continues with the smart little Me 262 kit. For a small kit this one is pretty tidy, looking forward to the paint job on this one going to have to work out how to do those fine squiggly lines with my airbrush. Enjoyed learning about this aircraft as well, if it had come into production sooner it could have changed the outcome of the war and was well respected by those that captured it and admired the engineering skills that went into its design. Its great how making all these models teaches you about the history of them and how they effected the outcome of the war.

Any way on with the build and some first pics.

View attachment 50489View attachment 50499View attachment 50498View attachment 50497View attachment 50496View attachment 50495View attachment 50494View attachment 50493View attachment 50492View attachment 50491View attachment 50490View attachment 50500

View attachment 53172

View attachment 53173

View attachment 53174

View attachment 53175

View attachment 53176

View attachment 53177

View attachment 53178

View attachment 53179

View attachment 53180

View attachment 53181

View attachment 53182

View attachment 53183

me13.jpg

Me1.jpg

me2.jpg

me3.jpg

me4.jpg

me6.jpg

me7.jpg

me8.jpg

me9.jpg

me10.jpg

me11.jpg

me12.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Markand nice choice.

These "Behelfsnachtjager" or interim nightfighters are something I've had an interest in for a while. Red 12 was not originally built as a nightfighter but was one of several conversions done by the Deutsche Lufthansa work shops at Berlin-Staaken.

Here's a potted history of Red 12,probably a bit more than Revell have supplied.

Red 12 was collected from Berlin-Staaken,probably by Lt. Kurt Welter of 10./NJG 11 on 15/4/45 and ferried to Lubeck-Blankensee.

Its next flight was at 06.38 on 28/4/45. This was a 22 minute flight with Lt. Altner at the controls,accompanied by radar operator Uffz. Eicher in the back seat, to the Reinfeld Autobahn.

On 2 or 3/5/45 it was Altner who probably flew the aircraft to Schleswig-Jagel. He flew it again to Schleswig-Jagel,accompanied by Uffz. Braun in the back seat on 6/5/45 when the aircraft was turned over to the British.

On either 9 or 19/7/45 (difficult to read original documents) Squadron Leader Tony Martindale flew the aircraft to Gilze-Rijen but overran on landing and ended up in a ditch. It was repaired and flown again,by Martindale,to the RAE at Farnborough via Manston on 6/12/45.

It was last seen,minus its nose,on static display at the Blackpool Air Pageant in July 1947 and was probably scrapped thereafter,having been damaged in a winter storm.

I hope Revell don't have the entire upper wing in black. The black covered the entire engine nacelle and extended to the slats on the wings' leading edge. The rest of the wings upper surface was painted like the fuselage,RLM 76 with an RLM 75 mottle.

Pictures taken at Schleswig-Jagel or possibly Gilze-Rijen show that the front cowling on the starboard engine (the entire front part,more or less back to the wing) is a replacement and is unpainted aluminium.

Let me know if a couple of photos would be useful.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks like nice detail Revell have achieved there. And yes a bit of history makes all the difference. Some nights I spend more time 'researching' the current build, than actually doing anything to it !

Colin M..

S

Saber

Nice one Steve good to have some more info on this plane. I am cursing myself having got the paint order on the camo on the wings the wrong blasted way round! Cant believe I did that will have to respray it tomorrow to get them the right way round duh.

The bottom of the wings is all tar black according to the instructions but should the top of the wings be mottled as well? If so that would be great as I really enjoyed doing the mottling effect on the main body. Heres my progress for the rest of today..

View attachment 50508View attachment 50509View attachment 50510View attachment 50511View attachment 50512

View attachment 53190

View attachment 53191

View attachment 53192

View attachment 53193

View attachment 53194

me18.jpg

me14.jpg

me15.jpg

me16.jpg

me17.jpg

S

Saber

\ said:
Looks like nice detail Revell have achieved there. And yes a bit of history makes all the difference. Some nights I spend more time 'researching' the current build, than actually doing anything to it !Colin M..
Yes indeed learning all about the planes is just as much fun as making them :wow:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Mark, your paint work looks great.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The black underside colour probably extended onto the top of the wings on the slats. You will see a panel line behind the leading edge on the top of the wing which represents the back of these slats. So the slats and top of the engine nacelle are black. The rest of the upper wing was camouflaged like the fuselage.

Here's a couple of piccies in which you can see that the leading edge certainly seems dark. In one you can also clearly see the replacement cowling.

In original Luftwaffe markings.

With British markings applied

Cheers

Steve

S

Saber

\ said:
Nice one Mark, your paint work looks great.Tony.
Cheers Tony, I had to repaint the top of the wings to get the camo the right way round though I am dyslexic so that is quite normal for me lol.

S

Saber

\ said:
The black underside colour probably extended onto the top of the wings on the slats. You will see a panel line behind the leading edge on the top of the wing which represents the back of these slats. So the slats and top of the engine nacelle are black. The rest of the upper wing was camouflaged like the fuselage.Here's a couple of piccies in which you can see that the leading edge certainly seems dark. In one you can also clearly see the replacement cowling.

In original Luftwaffe markings.

With British markings applied

Cheers

Steve
Thanks for the pics Steve, I have repainted the tops of the wings and finished putting in the wheels and smaller bits getting ready to put the decals on now wish I had got this one in a bigger scale now but its good practise for later on.

View attachment 50528

View attachment 50529

View attachment 53210

View attachment 53211

me19.jpg

me20.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Trumpeter do a fantastic 1/32 scale version of this type. It's not cheap but it is the best large scale Me 262 in town. Here's my Red 10 getting ready for action as the sun sets.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Truly amazing, one or two day builds and all of them excellent. Great work on the camouflage too Mark, brilliant stuff.

S

Saber

Many thanks Joe its been great fun making all of these German planes and I have learned a lot about them as well. I was surprised at just how many air craft the Germans had in use in the second world war and just how advanced they were getting towards the end of it. Fortunately I was born just after the war ended but my mother remembered German planes bombing the railway station in our town killing the station master and his wife and another peppering the street with machine gun fire as it flew over. Off to the Seething Airshow this Sunday for some more inspiration on my model making.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
mother remembered German planes bombing the railway station in our town killing the station master and his wife and another peppering the street with machine gun fire as it flew over.
My Grandma,who lived near Canterbury,told me that she saw a pair of low flying aircraft which she cheerily waved at only for them to open fire on the local station moments later! It was then that she realised that they probably "weren't ours".

Steve

S

Saber

Yes my mum got fired at while she was playing out on the streets the neighbor had to run out and haul them in the house for safety must have been quite an experience.

I just got back from the Seething air show today, my god it was hot! felt like a baked potato in the heat but it was a great day. Got to see the Great War display team and a couple of Junkers CL1s and a Fiesier Storch. Heres a few pics of the day for you...

Oops sorry they did not post try again..

View attachment 50653

View attachment 50654

View attachment 50655

View attachment 53302

View attachment 53303

View attachment 53304

P1010912.jpg

P1010916.jpg

P1020139.JPG

Last edited:
H

Hammasphee

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I'm just about to start on the same model myself, and have a couple of questions over the paintjob.

Firstly, in the image of Red 12 in it's original Luftwaffe markings, look behind the front wheel and it appears that the front of the right engine has already been changed - it is a pale colour with the sprayed top, implying it was changed before the RAF got their hands on it and crashed it.

Secondly, and I don't mean to be rude Steve, but how sure are you that the tops of the wings are the same colour as the fuselage? Most of the schemes I can find either has it as the splinter or solid dark green across the top. I have to say I prefer the idea of the black leading edge with the mottled wings, but I can find no first-hand evidence of either your interpretation or indeed the solid green.

Thanks in advance