75th anniversary Tiger 1 Revell, 1/35

Gary G

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Hi J
White always covers poorly over plastic, especially if you brush it. If you need a white interior, then it’s far easier to buy a spraying can of white primer and use that instead.

If you’re aiming for realism, BTW, the interior should be ivory (a yellowish off-white) rather than plain white. You could easily paint that over the white coat you have now, and it would most likely fix the somewhat uneven coverage as well.
Hi Jakko,
The white supplied with the kit is the Revell off white, the equivalent Tamiya is x2 white, which is much whiter and glossier and you are right, painting the white was awful, lesson learnt. As there is white required in the hull I will try the white primer. :smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is it number 05, white matt? (That’s what the instructions recommend, anyway.) In that case it’s just plain white, not the ivory colour the real tank had :smiling3: Regardless, if you’re happy with it, then stick with it.

Gary G

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Is it number 05, white matt? (That’s what the instructions recommend, anyway.) In that case it’s just plain white, not the ivory colour the real tank had :smiling3: Regardless, if you’re happy with it, then stick with it.
05 it is Jakko. It is an off white colour it’s just horrible to paint with, perhaps I should thin it down and AB it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That will at least get it to cover more evenly than you’ll ever manage with a brush, and so make your life a bit easier :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brushwork getting it in the neck yet again. ;) White paint will brush apply just as evenly and a lot easier and quicker than an A.B. Bits of the inside of a turret are easily missed with an A.B.. Not so a brush. I use Vallejo Air 71.132 'Aged White'

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I like to brush paint as much as the next guy, and don’t like cleaning my airbrush so I use it sparingly, but getting colours like white or yellow to cover properly over a darker one, or smooth plastic, with a brush requires so much more effort, time and/or layers that I far prefer to get out an aerosol can of primer and do it in one go.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
.......but getting colours like white or yellow to cover properly over a darker one, or smooth plastic, with a brush requires so much more effort, time and/or layers.

Strange.....You must be doing something wrong. :thinking:

Sorry Gary, I digress.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Under paint in VJ light sand first Jakko and white covers just fine!
I know, and it’s something I use at times when I need to brush-paint white or yellow. But I still don’t see why I would go to the trouble of painting large areas sand and then white if I can just spray white primer on them to get good coverage in one go.

Strange.....You must be doing something wrong. :thinking:
Gee, I wonder why you of all people would think that …

Gary G

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
So many wheels...:tired: for my next model I will make sure I check the amount of road wheels first :smiling:
Plodding on slowly.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Gary,
Keep going I think there is only one modeller on here that does not have a phobia about wheels and the amount of. Looking good.
Mike.

Gary G

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Whoever thought of plastic tracks,should be locked in a room and forced to do them for 48hrs straight.
It’s the work of the devil.

Attachments

• 88873766-4B52-4632-83FE-3922E2B2A88B.jpeg
    88873766-4B52-4632-83FE-3922E2B2A88B.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 14

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking good, slow and steady will get them done :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Whoever thought of plastic tracks,should be locked in a room and forced to do them for 48hrs straight.
It’s the work of the devil.
You need to glue two teeth to each link? Wow! Can I have those instead of four-part or six-part workable Sherman tracks, please? :smiling3:

But yeah, track links are not exactly the greatest part about modern tank kits. It used to be I disliked the suspension most, with all those wheels, but that has long been overtaken by the tracks. Best advice I can offer: don’t do them all in one go, but build bits of track in between other parts of the kit.

Gary G

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
You need to glue two teeth to each link? Wow! Can I have those instead of four-part or six-part workable Sherman tracks, please? :smiling3:

But yeah, track links are not exactly the greatest part about modern tank kits. It used to be I disliked the suspension most, with all those wheels, but that has long been overtaken by the tracks. Best advice I can offer: don’t do them all in one go, but build bits of track in between other parts of the kit.
Couldn’t agree more Jakko, working through it slowly.