80 years since the Battle of Britain. Group build ?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Anyone fancy a 'Battle of Britain' group build ? I think 80 years is quite a mile stone. Of course 100 is better, but some of us might not be around then.
Of course actual dates vary, the fight never really ended, just the focus shifted, but common dates seem to be it started on the 10th July, and ended on the 31st October, so maybe that should be the duration of the GB if it gets off the ground.
There would be an obvious focus on aircraft, but let's see what people come up with. Chain Home diorama anyone ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
"Don't you yell at me,Mr Warwick!"

Susannah York in just an R.A.F. blue shirt. I need a drink!

Back to earth, count me in Colin... :thumb2:

Yours.
Air Chief Marshall Sir Hugh Caswall Tremenheere Dowding, 1st. Baron Dowding, G.C.B., G.C.V.O., C.M.G. .....(yes, that was his real name and title!) His underlings called him 'Stuffy'

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have a patchy record on completing group builds On time, my Fw190 was nearly a year overdue and I did not even start another because something else overran. But like Neil I have a thing about early war aircraft and BoB in particular, so I am in as well.
shame I already started my Arma Hobby Mk1 Hurricane, which i am building as a 303 squadron bird.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I have a patchy record on completing group builds On time, my Fw190 was nearly a year overdue and I did not even start another because something else overran. But like Neil I have a thing about early war aircraft and BoB in particular, so I am in as well.
shame I already started my Arma Hobby Mk1 Hurricane, which i am building as a 303 squadron bird.
I've built a few 303 squadron birds myself, as Northolt is my local RAF station

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im in....but not be able to start til 1st August...............cos ive already committed to a BoB GB elsewhere and thats the date they are using,then i can do one kit for two GBs

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If anyone is after some knowledge into the BoB then i cannot recommend highly enough The Most Dangerous Enemy - Stephen Bungay. The detail and history that is in this book is outstanding.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive got a spitfire mk1 in the stash col , if it fits the bill ( i mean if the markings are a machine that took part in the battle ) then im in :thumb2:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
BoB is my major passion,
Splendid, someone who actually knows a thing or two, unlike me who's knowledge base comes from google/wiki/ and the Battle of Britain film (which I believe has a few inaccuracies)
I have a patchy record on completing group builds On time
Best make it a little 1:72 fighter, maybe avoid the Revell 1:32 He-111
then i can do one kit for two GBs
That sounds like a plan.

The funny thing is, I haven't got anything to build, if this goes ahead. I feel I should do something British, but my shelves are rather devoid of German machines. Then again, what did the Italians use ? I believe they popped up briefly.