8th german plane? no this time its a Spitfire MK11

First Name
Dave
Looks good Mike.I like the old Revell/Monogram kits myself.Lots of detail for not a lot of money.They require a bit more work than the latest kits,but that's part of the fun for me.Can I ask why you don't sand and fill the joins on your fuselages?.

S

Saber

Cheers Dave I did fill the gap on the wing joints but I only lightly sanded the joins along the top. I need to get myself a decent set of sanding sticks and learn how to get that bit right. Worried I might sand of the panel lines.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

T

tecdes

Nice Mark. Nice detail & subdued weathering. Thinking of Spitfire for my next.

I would get a good scriber for the panel joints Mark. Best to put the joints first as the panel lines can always be scribed in afterwards. In the shop John has some sanders which have a thick piece of foam in the middle. Found these then can be pushed into the curve. Then use a very fine wet dry 1200 gauge paper to smooth & finish.

Laurie

T

tecdes

For got to add Mark. 2 days !!!!!!!!.

You can go to bed now & have a rest.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A nice build but it is a shame about the join on the fuselage. But otherwise nice.

Ian M

S

Saber

I will order some sanding tools and get cracking on that problem the attention to detail some of you guys do on your models just blows me away but its all a big learning curve. Can any one recommend a really good book on scale model plane making seen a few but not sure which to go for.

T

tecdes

Mark www.florymodels.co.uk .Learnt a lot from his very good tutorials. They run into half hour long visuals so that are comprehensive. Takes you through in one building a whole aircraft.

Found that after using his ideas I then developed my own way of doing things. But the tutorials give a good grounding on ways of achieving the results.

Tried books, local library, but found they were OK but were a poor substitute for visual learning.

Flory makes things interesting & takes you through most of the basic things you are up against in model making. Mostly aircraft.

Charges £2:50 a month & you get all the tutorials free. One month would give you all that you need. Very cheap a give away.

Laurie

Last edited:
S

Saber

Cheers for that Laurie,with the winter months coming along it will be good to relax with my model making and learn some more ways to improve on them. I am now waiting for my next model to arrive this time its back to the German planes again with an Airfix Kit Focke Wulf Fw189, 1/72

Really like the look of this plane and its looks like its going to be fun to builds, hurry up post man!:music_whistling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Mark,there is a good seam tutorial here.

AeroScale :: Reading the Seams

You'll find that you'll develop your own little tricks and variations but its a very good starting point.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
The Fw189 is an interesting plane Mark.Im currently reading Black Thursday.Its about the American bomber raids against the ball bearing factories at Schweinfurt.Some crews reported being attacked by Fw189s.So it wasnt just used as an army co-operation aircraft.I believe some were used as night fighters as well.

S

Saber

\ said:
Hi Mark,there is a good seam tutorial here.AeroScale :: Reading the Seams

You'll find that you'll develop your own little tricks and variations but its a very good starting point.

Cheers

Steve
Thats a great thread on fixing seams Steve many thanks, I will have to work on this one on my next model. I have never really been that troubled about it before but fixing those seems would certainly improve the models and make them look better. Must try to slow down on my builds lol.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Its about the American bomber raids against the ball bearing factories at Schweinfurt.Some crews reported being attacked by Fw189s.So it wasnt just used as an army co-operation aircraft.I believe some were used as night fighters as well.
I suspect that first part is a mistaken identity. With a top speed of 217 mph (and a service ceiling below 24,000 feet) I reckon that the type would struggle to catch either of the principle USAAF daylight bombers.

They were pressed into service as "Behelfsnachtjager" (auxiliary night fighters) and were used mainly on the Eastern Front against slow,low flying,Soviet night intruders with limited success. NJG 100 certainly used them in this role.

Most Fw 189s were assigned to short range reconnaissance squadrons Aufklarungstaffeln (H),the designation being changed in the reorganisation of the winter of 41-42 when they were reorganised into short range reconnaissance groups,Nahaufklarungsgruppen (NAG). They served almost exclusively in the East.Although all German aircraft remained part of and under the theoretical control of the Luftwaffe these aircraft were attached to various Army Groups (Heeresgruppen).

Good luck with the build,it's an interesting subject.

Cheers

Steve

S

Saber

Reading and learning about these planes is as much fun as making them. Its been a big history lesson for me making all these models. :smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

Mark the Spit came out sweet,nicely done! I did the Nachtjager version of the 189 last year so I've got some good pics if ya need(thanks to Steve btw). And yes Ng100 used them against the Russian Night Witches which I attempted to model mine after. Good luck with masking all those windows too ;)

S

Saber

He he yes masking the windows is going to be fun might try strips of tape layed down on the frames then paint with masking fluid then remove strips and air brush paint on then remove masking fluid any one else tryed that?

M

MrGotty

Hey Mark, awesome model bro, the spitfire was my first model iv ever done 1/72 though, the next model il be working on is a Focke Wulf also but with the Kubelwagen :smiling3: I cant wait to see what yours is going to look like :smiling3:

Scott

T

tecdes

\ said:
He he yes masking the windows is going to be fun might try strips of tape layed down on the frames then paint with masking fluid then remove strips and air brush paint on then remove masking fluid any one else tryed that?Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2
Tried a load of different methods for window masking Mark.

The latest which I had some success with is to do this. Best thing is to also prime the outside of the fuselage about an inch from the outside edge of the windows.The windows were cemented in from the inside so before fixing I painted the frame bit on the outside with a brush to make sure I did not get any flecks of bare plastic when removing the masking. Best thing is to also prime the outside of the fuselage about an inch from the outside edge of the windows. Obviously mask the past window using a piece of paper but using the primer area to stick the tape to. Hope that makes sense.

Then used a masking fluid I gave a couple of coats. Does not matter if you fractionally overcoat the window frame as the masking fluid will come away (using acrylic paint).This worked well. Any minor gaps in the masking fluid allowing paint through I found the paint can be scrapped very carefully away using a cocktail stick or a finger nail.

Laurie

S

Saber

Yes that sounds like a good plan Laurie, I have sometimes masked off with tape and then just hand painted the frame rather then air brush but airbrush gives a better finish.

S

Saber

\ said:
Hey Mark, awesome model bro, the spitfire was my first model iv ever done 1/72 though, the next model il be working on is a Focke Wulf also but with the Kubelwagen :smiling3: I cant wait to see what yours is going to look like :smiling3: Scott
Hi Scot cheers mate the next one will be the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 I still have lots more german planes I want to make so going to be content to make them through the winter months. Some of the bigger bombers are great in the 1:72 scale but small single seater planes are better in the 1:48 scale I think depends on how much room you have to store them all. Now I am more aware of that seam line its beginning to bug me lol.