A 1/10 Roman Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

d5jz2si-4dd8d1d2-8d77-4a41-8cda-3be11906c236.jpg

This is an attempt to rescue a failed attempt at a Young Miniatures bust of a Roman signifier:

100_7755.JPG

I got into trouble with this one as I couldn't make the hood fit well and I badly damaged the rim of the helmet during construction. So, another Reedees head was summoned, and I went to work with the Milliput:

100_7753.JPG

I've tried to give him a 'Roman' hairstyle, brushed forward at the temples.

With the torso, a large area of the shoulders was bare where the rest of the bearskin would have fitted. Building up the fur would have meant trying to replicate the texture on the rest of the shoulders, which would have been difficult, so instead I've modelled a hood as a continuation of the inner hide.

The sword is from an old Verlinden figure and I may try attaching it somewhere. If it doesn't fit, I'll display it on the base.

First Name
Wouter
Looking forward to see this unravel. The haircut sure worked out for me. Nice sculpting Peter.

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Hair looks good. Plenty of scope for your skills here.
Jim

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

You're definitely a skilled milliput hairstylist and a very "I Claudius" style too, cool

Another well painted head, nice pale complexion, looks like he has been too long in the North of Britannia!!

Missing the sunshine of home!

Me too, it too cold here for July 9 C B'rrrr!

The hood'ie is another milliput masterpiece, nicely melded into the bearskin.

Looks like it should be a pelt day for you today.

You could eat the bear claws but only if they are American!

Bear claw

Got my priming done and a 1/72 Hurricane too, another side project, for all the under £5 kits I bought, accidentally!!

Looks like its going to bright but cool

Have a good one

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I've decided he's General Varus, about to lose the eagles and suffer annihilation at the hands of Hermann and the Chersuci at the Battle of the Teutoberg Forest, 9 BCE:

battle-of-the-teutoberg-forest-56a61c273df78cf7728b63b6.jpg

I feel I'm beginning to get the hang of Miliput, which at least helps extend my range a bit and means I can rescue duds rather than binning them.

Should get this done today, as the bearskin is a matter of simple dry-brushing. Hope those brushes get wet!

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Wouter
Great stuff, I really like that fur and the gladius. Well executed, as ever.

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I said in my first post " Plenty of scope for your skills here." and yet it has actually gone smoothly. The sculpting of the hair is great and the bearskin looks superb. A fine result.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work on the head Peter. He certainly is very Roman looking. Wonderful work all round.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

Looks really good to me.

I was expecting your pilot next but not yet!

Its going to be a nice day, so the lawn gets to the top of the list!

Priming done so maybe some fun later!

Your Russian looks pretty good after all your work on the head, you would never have though it was in such a condition!

Enjoy the better weather

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Stevie J - Glad you like this one.

Steve H - I'm stuck very much in bust mode, so I'm not going to start the pilot figure just yet.

Have fun cutting the grass - hope you can get to the bench after.

Last edited by a moderator: