A 1/16 Wedgie

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

download (22).jpgdownload (21).jpg

A few days ago Steve Jones asked me if I'd ever made a wedgie. I admit that I had to ask him what he was talking about, then replied that it would really need to be 1/16, and that, as vehicles in that scale are prohibitively expensive, it probably wouldn't happen.

However, I was looking at the Classy Hobby tank crew figures again, with a view to mounting them together somehow, when I thought I'd see if there were any 1/16 tank turrets around. Eventually I came across this Heng Long Tiger II turret at a bargain price of £15:

s558706699898873938_p1077_i11_w640.jpeg

It's for a radio controlled model and is fitted up to fire BB pellets! When it arrived today, I set discovered that the pellets were designed to fit into a hopper which was accessed through the cupola, that it has a motor to rotate the turret and elevate the gun, and that the hatches opened. I set about removing all of the unwanted electrical gear and realised that it might just work. The modelling of the actual turret is pretty good, but it does need detailing, so it was back to the suppler for an accessories pack:

s558706699898873938_p155_i5_w640.jpeg

This includes everything the turret needs - handles, spare track links and holding pins, machine gun ring mount etc etc. I also ordered a decal pack:

s558706699898873938_p730_i2_w640.jpeg

All in, the cost has been about £35, which I think is reasonable. This is going to be more about the figures than the tank, but I will try to make it reasonably accurate. The pre-painted camo is pretty good, so that can be weathered and worked on as it is. The gun barrel is solid metal and very long, so I'll probably just include the mantlet, as it won't fit in the cabinet otherwise.

No promises that this will work out. I'll start on the figures first, since that way I'm partially committed (or should be!). A couple of reference shots:

porsche-and-henschel-King-Tiger_Henschel_063.jpgBundesarchiv_Bild_101I-680-8282A-09,_Budapest,_Panzersoldaten_in_Panzer_VI_(Tiger_II).jpg

Ooh, err......

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
IMG_6631.JPGIMG_6632.JPG
Hi Peter - I scratch built a 1:15/120mm T34 wedgie back in 2011

There were a few commercial ones around at the time but I assume they have gone out of favour as I haven't seen any for ages.

With things like gun barrels they tended to get cut short and at an angle rather than straight across

I look forward to seeing what you come up with

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning, again Peter

Love the idea of a 1:16 wedgie, and well done for both having a go, and finding everything you need so reasonably priced too.

This will definitely fill a corner of the cabinet.

Are you just using the turret or putting it on the roof of a KT too.

Will you attempt zimmerit on the turret?

Choices choices?

Have fun today and don't forget to rest than foot too!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Simon - This will be a long way from your standard, but hopefully it should look like a KT. I couldn't find any 1/16 wedgie models online, so apart from scratching, which I can't do, this was the best solution. Thanks for the tip re the gun barrel - this one is solid metal and it seems a shame to cut it, so I may make a short section up myself.

Mick - Fingers crossed!

Steve - May have bitten off more than I can chew. The main problem will be getting the figures to sit convincingly. Just the turret, mounted on a block, and definitely no zimmerit! Will have to retire some older pieces from the cabinet.

D

Deleted member 6559

OK, where to start?

The figures. Box and sprue shots:

100_5212.JPG100_5215.JPG100_5213.JPG100_5214.JPG

100_5216.JPG100_5217.JPG100_5218.JPG100_5219.JPG

These are very nicely sculpted and include a couple of head and arm options. The mould lines are a bit heavy, as are the sprue attachments, so a bit of extra work will be required.

I put them roughly together to see if they'd sit in the turret properly:

100_5220.JPG

To my surprise it looks as though this could work......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
To my surprise it looks as though this could work......
..... with your skills I'd be surprised if it didn't work :thumb2:
Quite a bargain I'd say. Smaller scale resin wedgies go for big bucks.
Looking forward to it.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Well, we see Jim.

Just heard from the supplier that the accessory pack is unavailable, but have ordered some track links and MG ring. I'll have to make the track suspension hooks. The figures are giving me a run for the money too, but slowly getting there.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peter,
Count me I on this one mate. Sounds like a great project and with your skills it will look superb.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for your faith in me Scottie. I'm not so sure.....

The figures are ready for painting:

100_5221.JPG100_5222.JPG

The sitting figure proved the trickiest of the two, as the arms were a poor fit. I had to do quite a lot of packing and filling around the right shoulder, so the proof will be in the painting.

The head-pieces for the earphones was supplied, but proved impossible to remove from the sprue without breaking, so I replaced them with brass strip. Similarly, the neck microphones crumbled when touched, so I made new ones from brass and sections of sprue.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've now started painting the first figure:

100_5224.JPG100_5226.JPG

I had swapped the heads of the figures around so that this figure would be looking to his right. However, that head had all sorts of problems when it came to painting, so it was back to the original. This was pretty tricky also, especially around the eyes, but it got there in the end. I decided to go on and paint some of the insignia while I was in the mood.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've had a bit of trouble getting hold of accessories for the turret, but have managed to cobble together this lot from sources in the UK and Germany:
s558706699898873938_p944_i10_w640.jpeg186_01_tn.jpgs558706699898873938_p155_i5_w640.jpegs558706699898873938_p730_i2_w640.jpeg

I made the mistake at looking at an upgrade blog for the 1/16 Heng Long Tiger II, which included a completely scratched turret interior, gun breach etc, and felt I should at least try a bit with mine. It took a long while to find the track suspension hooks and it appears that I've got the last set available in the world (I know I should be able to make them, but even that is beyond me).

On with the figures in the meantime.

D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Welcome aboard.

Jim - Thanks. Just got him more or less finished when my daughter knocked him onto the kitchen floor!!!!! Not too much damage fortunately, and I didn't actually kill her.

D

Deleted member 6559

The commander figure:

100_5231.JPG100_5233.JPG100_5234.JPG100_5235.JPG

I had yet another accident, when I knocked his cap off into my water jar. Fortunately there was only minor damage.

The headphones etc will be added when I come to assemble the whole thing - I'll probably drape them on the turret hatches.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - I put it on top of the piano, out of harms way and went out for a walk. Came back and realised that a few mils needed to come off the top of the left sleeve, so attacked him with sandpaper. It worked out fortunately.

Ralph - Glad you like him.

Adjusted left arm:

100_5240.JPG