A 1/72 Unofficial Dogfight Double

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I found the spitfire decals to be the same steve , the fuselage roundel had to have several applications of softener to get it to stick at the top . If youve got any decal sheets in the spares box that have a thin black outline round the edge ,then sometimes this has a carrier film over it and can be used for things like the wing walk lines on the spit . Some of the larger Airfix sheets used to have this , its what i used for mine .

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've found the time to weather these up a bit and apply the final coat of varnish (which is more matt than silk, but there you go).

IMG_2367.JPG

I just have to add the 'dangly and sticky outy bits' and think about how exactly I'm going to pose them so that I can build the stand. I have the 3mm rod now, and a piece of aluminium sheet.
I don't think anymore will be done this weekend, but I should get them done next week, in plenty of time before the end of the Battle of Britain :smiling3:

BTW that 'backwards' code (L-XT) was something 603 Squadron did, not me :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've found the time to weather these up a bit and apply the final coat of varnish (which is more matt than silk, but there you go).

View attachment 400094

I just have to add the 'dangly and sticky outy bits' and think about how exactly I'm going to pose them so that I can build the stand. I have the 3mm rod now, and a piece of aluminium sheet.
I don't think anymore will be done this weekend, but I should get them done next week, in plenty of time before the end of the Battle of Britain :smiling3:

BTW that 'backwards' code (L-XT) was something 603 Squadron did, not me :smiling3:
Looking good Steve as always.

What's the secret to getting the ref MG port covers on nicely? That was actually the hardest bit for me.

Thx.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What's the secret to getting the ref MG port covers on nicely? That was actually the hardest bit for me.

For those covers I use red decal paper. In this case I cut them out of some old decals for marking a night fighter, but any red decal paper will do. I don't worry to much about matching any particular colour.

At this scale mine are slightly oversize, but as small as I could make them to fold over the leading edges. Because Stapleton had obviously fired his guns (at von Werra) I've pierced the decal with a little drill bit once dry and then applied a little black paint on the end of a very fine brush, just to the hole, to cover up any light edges revealed. I call it gun residue if anyone asks :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
For those covers I use red decal paper. In this case I cut them out of some old decals for marking a night fighter, but any red decal paper will do. I don't worry to much about matching any particular colour.

At this scale mine are slightly oversize, but as small as I could make them to fold over the leading edges. Because Stapleton had obviously fired his guns (at von Werra) I've pierced the decal with a little drill bit once dry and then applied a little black paint on the end of a very fine brush, just to the hole, to cover up any light edges revealed. I call it gun residue if anyone asks :smiling3:
thanks Steve.

Getting the covers round the bend was really tricky given how tight it is on a 1/72 kit.

I had an idea of how to get it to work but it was only partially successful, so I guess I'll have to buy a few more spitfires just to perfect the technique!

ATB

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If the decal really won't stick you can apply it on a spot of varnish (I use Klear) that has been left to go tacky. You'll need to avoid too much water arriving with the decal* and brush with water once the decal has stuck to clean up any excess, but it does work.

*Which means you can't float the decal off or flood the area. I dab the decal on a bit of kitchen roll and then slide it as close as I can from the backing using an old drill bit. It sounds rough and you have to be careful not to tear the decal, but with a bit of practice it works. Of the six (two are doubles) on that Spitfire I only had to do one of them twice.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm calling this done!

Here's a quick piccy to prove I've actually done it. I will post more in a completed thread in the relevant section as soon as I can.

IMG_2368_web.jpg