A bench that defeats the Carpet Monster

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

i was watching an episode of Escape from the Chateau which we recorded couple of weeks ago and Dick built a bench for his children which would defeat the carpet monster. A simple idea based on his father-in-law's workbench - he used to be a jeweler.

a very simple idea: the bench has a semi-circular section cut out which is where you sit; under the cut out. but above your knees. is a piece of cloth which will catch anything you drop. here is a photo of one I googled:

092F24CE-9AC5-49B9-A638-9BDD1B395D60.png

this could be an ideal idea/modification for anybody who has their own modelling-only workspace.

peter

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I don't mind that program but i really find the woman really annoying and high maintenance. The kids need a bit of discipline too imho. But hey ho.

Table looks ok. I'd still probably lose bits though. I seem to have that knack of doing so :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
An excellent idea Peter but the carpet monster who lives under my bench would almost certainly sneak out one night and cut a hole in the cloth!!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
all my carpet monster would do is use that as a hammock!!

i really like that programme and its spin offs.......any one remember dick strawbridge from the first series of scrapheap challenge?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
From a tip from a fellow modeller, I put velcro on the underside edge of my table & a similar row on the bottom of my carpenters' apron. Works very well. until you forget & get up to answer the doorbell (or the call of nature) and nearly turn the table over - didn't last very long, that idea
Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Less velcro solves that problem. Been using similar solution for years. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve parts pinging off to places unknown.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
From a tip from a fellow modeller, I put velcro on the underside edge of my table & a similar row on the bottom of my carpenters' apron. Works very well. until you forget & get up to answer the doorbell (or the call of nature) and nearly turn the table over - didn't last very long, that idea
Dave
Mini magnets instead of velcro enough to hold the apron up but easily slips if you move off without removing it.