A bit of help please

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I’ve been having problems with my neo on and off, just stripped it down and given it a full clean but managed to damage the tip of the needle being clumsy.
I love the finish I get from airbrushes but have a real problem with looking after needles. I have put a business case forward to swmbo and have been given the go ahead to invest in something a little more upmarket. Are there needle less ones out there that are good quality or if needs must a nice reliable good one I could invest in. Obviously the needle bending numpty is still in the equation
Thanks

• Sad
Reactions: JR

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
H&S have a different, tool less, style of nozzle so may help, but then a needle is still a needle.
Also bear in mind the Neo isn't actually made by Iwata, so doesn't have the same quality.
I only ever hooked needles on cheap brushes.

There are needle sharpening tools available as well.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mick, if you can still find an old Badger 150 medium head, you'll find the needles less likely to be bent or tip breaking as the tip is not exactly sharp but is beveled at the tip. It still sprays sharp between 1mm and 2mm. They're made for rough handling.

Cheers,
Richard

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I’ve been having problems with my neo on and off, just stripped it down and given it a full clean but managed to damage the tip of the needle being clumsy.
I love the finish I get from airbrushes but have a real problem with looking after needles. I have put a business case forward to swmbo and have been given the go ahead to invest in something a little more upmarket. Are there needle less ones out there that are good quality or if needs must a nice reliable good one I could invest in. Obviously the needle bending numpty is still in the equation
Thanks

Although I didn't bend the needle on mine, I did have problems with my Neo, despite very thoroughly cleaning it I couldn't stop it blowing bubbles back into the paint cup, fully stripped it multiple times, cleaned it, soaked it in cellulose thinners, cleaned it again paying special attention to every area that paint could get anywhere near, and it still back fed air into the paint cup. in the end i put it back in it's box, tossed it in a draw, and bought a H&S Ultra.. never locked back, I like it so much i'm toying with grabbing an Infinity CR

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Many thanks for the input gents, back to the boardroom with my plan

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

The newer H&S airbrushes have the v2 needle which doesn't have the very fine end that many have, which should make them less susceptible to bending.

I haven't managed to bend mine yet, and I'm a clumsy oaf!

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The newer H&S airbrushes have the v2 needle which doesn't have the very fine end that many have, which should make them less susceptible to bending.

I haven't managed to bend mine yet, and I'm a clumsy oaf!
It's like a double chamfer, means they're not as sharp but then they don't need to be just mate with the nozzle.

D

Deleted member 7917

Hi Mick, after buying and trying 3 other brands I now have three H&S airbrushes, each with a different needle size for convenience. I can't recommend them highly enough. Not only do they spray better than the others I tried, they are by far the easiest to clean.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
theres a brand called Aztek which dosnt use needles, in the same sense as a 'normal' airbrush............has interchangable nozzles which has needles inside which are only an inch long......and some are plastic rather then steel

they are a bit marmite......some love them, some hate them.......ive had 2, still use one for some work........they are 'different' and can be infuriating (but thats my cock ups not the airbrush) but no more than any other airbrush......just different..............they are american, and not as common as the big names, but there is an importer somewhere in the uk

ive used all sorts of brands....cheap chinese ones that work great for a year, then die........had a badger i just couldnt get on with.........had a iwata neo that went in the bin after 3 month cos it was complete rubbish............i now have a sparmax and very happy with it

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
had a iwata neo that went in the bin after 3 month cos it was complete rubbish..........
Because they are cheap chinese clones with Iwata endorsement, not actually made by Iwata. I bought mine when RRP was £50 and sold it a few months ago for a bit more than that as they now retail at £80, absolutely not worth it compared to anything else at that price point.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've recently got a Sparmax 0.4mm and so far been very happy with it. Have less problems and with my tamiya super fine, which shares many parts with iwata.

Prices are in the mid £50 and spare parts are much cheaper than the 'big' brands...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Aztek brushes are ok, and very flexible. They are able to be easily used as single and double action, and can limit the line size without changing needles. However, I found the nozzle quality was variable. If you get a good one they are great, but a bad one is just a pain in the rear....
They are no easier to clean than a normal brush, and you really have to dismantle the nozzle by removing the needle and spring to get them properly clean. The other thing I found is that they use far more air than a conventional brush, so are not suitable for all compressors. My AS 86 wouldn’t supply enough air for continuous operation, so airbrushing large items was a chore.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They are no easier to clean than a normal brush
Though I only really have experience with a few airbrushes, I find my Aztek far easier to clean than the Badger I used to use before.

you really have to dismantle the nozzle by removing the needle and spring to get them properly clean.
I don’t normally do this. I pull the outer sleeve of the nozzle off the inner/needle/spring assembly and clear them separately, but have never had a need to remove the needle from the inner part of the nozzle. Rinsing with plenty of water and blowing through it with my mouth gets all the paint out — though that’s invariably water-soluble acrylics, it may be different with enamels or other paints that you can’t clean up with water.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I don’t normally do this. I pull the outer sleeve of the nozzle off the inner/needle/spring assembly and clear them separately, but have never had a need to remove the needle from the inner part of the nozzle. Rinsing with plenty of water and blowing through it with my mouth gets all the paint out —
That is what I meant Jakko, I obviously didn’t describe it very well. I‘ve never taken the spring and needle assembly apart either, just the needle assembly out of the shroud. My current Iwatta is far easier to clean though, possibly because it’s a side feed. I can access the paint path to clean it when the paint cup and opposite blank are removed, and the needle is withdrawn from the back by simply loosening a knurled nut, so it can be cleaned off the brush..

D

Deleted member 5496

When cleaning after a session I always remove the needle. To make sure there is nothing on the tip also to ensure the needle is free of junk where it passes through the seal in the barrel.

Deep clean I remove the nozzle & soak in Pro Cleaner which is the best i have found to date. Leave this soaking over night. Also remove the spring part & trigger this gives access to the plunger under the trigger & give this shot of airbrush. Plus a spot on the needle part the way down to give lubrication at the seal.

Have H & S 7 Iwata. Iwata, in my opinion, is a far better engineered brush . Has fewer seals than the H & S & relies on metal to metal. But the devil to deep clean. Reming the nozzle to soak is not easy as is the H & S.
H & S dead easy brush to take apart. For this reason I uses the H & S for priming & varnish as they are easy to clean.

Iwata produce an HP-BS smaller than the average. I also has the advantage as have a number of Iwata brushes of having the cup recessed well into the barrel giving a better view. Down side you cannot change cups if you like to do a session without refilling. For me I like the better sight line.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 7181

Have H & S 7 Iwata. Iwata, in my opinion, is a far better engineered brush . Has fewer seals than the H & S & relies on metal to metal.

Interesting Laurie.

In the day job my guns are overwhelmingly Iwata for that reason - I can't afford the downtime of maintenance. I have a couple from the other members of "the big 3", but Devilbiss use some thin paper gaskets that need replacing regularly, and SATA expect you to spend a few hundred quid every 6 months replacing the needle/nozzle/air cap set. Some of my Iwata have gone over 15 years without any parts. My main clearcoat gun, that can spray up to a gallon a day, has had its only seal replaced once in 11 years.

Why on earth did I not buy an Iwata airbrush? :thinking:

D

Deleted member 5496

Interesting Laurie.

In the day job my guns are overwhelmingly Iwata for that reason - I can't afford the downtime of maintenance. I have a couple from the other members of "the big 3", but Devilbiss use some thin paper gaskets that need replacing regularly, and SATA expect you to spend a few hundred quid every 6 months replacing the needle/nozzle/air cap set. Some of my Iwata have gone over 15 years without any parts. My main clearcoat gun, that can spray up to a gallon a day, has had its only seal replaced once in 11 years.

Why on earth did I not buy an Iwata airbrush? :thinking:

One thing which is different Andy & makes in some ways the H & S more versatile. It takes needles nozzles from 0.6 to 0.18. Not sure of all of them but certainly most.
Some Iwata take two 0.2 & 0.18. Some just the one size.

I bought one Iwata HPBH straight from Japan & it was about 2/3rds the UK price. If you want versatility, at a cost, with Iwata HPBS 0.35 for larger areas. For effects etc HPBH great brush for bits & flashing in damaged areas this is 0.2 or 0.18 plus for finicky areas it also has the recessed paint cup.

Another. I find H & S are easy to dismantle & clean as mentioned compared to IWATA. However a cleaning with out dismantling after a session I find Iwata much easier & less troublesome than HP. Like choosing a car non have all the qualities you pray & want.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Laurie, some great information there. Unfortunately I'm narrowing the field even more by wanting a trigger style airbrush next. Years of muscle memory are proving hard to combat!

Sorry for the hijack Mick, but hopefully there's useful info for you too here.

D

Deleted member 5496

Last edited by a moderator: