A bit of help please

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mick I think at some point(no pun intended) we've all bent a needle if you got on OK with the neo why not replace the needle , I don't belive in bandying brands about ,vauxhall Ford who cares as long as it starts when you turn the key ,I've got one expensive ab but two others from bartsharpairbrush.co.uk both under thirty quid that do the same job just the expensive one is lets say driving a jag with leather seats compared to a Ford fiesta but the end job is no diffrent.

D

Deleted member 5496

Mick I think at some point(no pun intended) we've all bent a needle if you got on OK with the neo why not replace the needle , I don't belive in bandying brands about ,vauxhall Ford who cares as long as it starts when you turn the key ,I've got one expensive ab but two others from bartsharpairbrush.co.uk both under thirty quid that do the same job just the expensive one is lets say driving a jag with leather seats compared to a Ford fiesta but the end job is no diffrent.
OK David I will swop my Fiesta for your Jag. Be around tomorrow. OK ? :tongue-out3:
Laurie

First Name
Noel
Airbrushes.........So many now it is beginning to look like a minefield. When I first started to use an airbrush the easiest to get hold of were the Aerograph airbrushes made by DeVilbiss who only distributed to graphics outlets like art suppliers. And then the Badger range started to be imported by a company named Morris and Ingram in Poole. They looked at the model making sector as a huge addition to the graphics market and squarely aimed the Badger airbrushes at both. Paasche were well known in the USA and did not push the UK market although they I believe were the originators of the air brush way back in the 1920's. DeVillbiss marketed the Sprite in the 70's for modellers that was an Aerograph with plastic parts.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5496

Airbrushes.........So many now it is beginning to look like a minefield. When I first started to use an airbrush the easiest to get hold of were the Aerograph airbrushes made by DeVilbiss who only distributed to graphics outlets like art suppliers. And then the Badger range started to be imported by a company named Morris and Ingram in Poole. They looked at the model making sector as a huge addition to the graphics market and squarely aimed the Badger airbrushes at both. Paasche were well known in the USA and did not push the UK market although they I believe were the originators of the air brush way back in the 1920's. DeVillbiss marketed the Sprite in the 70's for modellers that was an Aerograph with plastic parts.
Interesting Noel. when I started had not a clue about airbrushes, Given bad info & ended with a Badger with the cup on the side.

Drove me insane until I cottoned on to H & S. Then things took off. 20 years ago there was not the info around as there is now to guide you.

Laurie

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Its going off course a bit now but I'd say at the least forty years back I purchased a badger air brush (best part of my weeks wages) I suppose now its called a siphon feed big jar on the bottom ,this was connected to a aerosol can full of pressurised air (obviously) and off you went no air pressure control, unless it started to frost up on the out side (this was prevented by standing it in a bowl of hot water) . I think you could adapt it to work with a car or lorry inertube fancy that whilst working at the di ing table ,then I discovered Tamiya kits in the painting instructions it advised you to spray your base colour red brown say then with cotton wool and a little wallpaper paste stick it where you need it over spray with sand yellow remove cotton wool ,with brush and water remove paste stain job done , back in the day I thought it looked the part . Now they charge God knows for a little tub of silly putty .

D

Deleted member 5496

Its going off course a bit now but I'd say at the least forty years back I purchased a badger air brush (best part of my weeks wages) I suppose now its called a siphon feed big jar on the bottom ,this was connected to a aerosol can full of pressurised air (obviously) and off you went no air pressure control, unless it started to frost up on the out side (this was prevented by standing it in a bowl of hot water) . I think you could adapt it to work with a car or lorry inertube fancy that whilst working at the di ing table ,then I discovered Tamiya kits in the painting instructions it advised you to spray your base colour red brown say then with cotton wool and a little wallpaper paste stick it where you need it over spray with sand yellow remove cotton wool ,with brush and water remove paste stain job done , back in the day I thought it looked the part . Now they charge God knows for a little tub of silly putty .

Interesting David. I started my career in 1955. The changes are phenomenal. I was give first day a knife & pencil & taught & practiced sharpening this pensil How to draw a line you twirled the pencil to keep the point evenly round.

All drawn on tracing paper then printed as a dyeline at the printers. Then back at the office to intricately paint the drg. for the builder. Then to deliver.

Now, & at the last few years of my career draw on computer, colour on computer then transmit from computer to builders computer.

I am though grateful for the painting of drgs. It was an art & technique which I can use for scale model even with 82 year old hands an art not lost hands steady & a technique from the dark ages :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

Laurie

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Going back even further, in the fifties you could buy a small spray gun with a glass jar and brass nozzle that was 'powered' by a bicycle footpump, giving a squirt of paint every time you pressed the pump. I sprayed a few of my slot cars with it, and also my brother's bass guitar, using Humbrol paints thinned with white spirit. It wasn't a great success, and the rubber hoses perished.
Pete

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 5496

Going back even further. Probably about 11 or 12 years old. These funny air brushes. A jam jar perhaps one of those Shiphams fish paste jars. Fill with paint.

Dip the end of the airbrush in to the paint . Then at the back of the airbrush there was a thin piece which fitted the lips. You blew down this which some how pushed through some tubes into the paint & out of the front onto to paper etc..

We used to use these things, with just clear water ha ha, to have water fights. No television in those days we had to resort to stupidity. :smiling4: Do not kid your self I had a fantastic youth climbing trees, tree camps make camps in haystacks & in the middle of wheat fields. Bike rides. Fishing. It was a life of fresh air & fun with friends. 6:45 all in to listen to Dick Barton Special Agent BBC. 7:00 all out to discuss & resume normal life. Tut now just a computer screen. Total shame a generation lost.

Oh yes not to forget. Cowboys & Indians. Split into two camps & racing around in gangs representing the two factions.

Laurie

Gee sorry well off topic.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Oh yes Laurie, "atomisers". I used to have one for spraying artists' fixative onto charcoal/chalk sketches. Remember Adrian Hill on BBC? He once selected one of my sketches for his show, I think I still have the certificate!
Never thought of trying it with paint.
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh yes Laurie, "atomisers". I used to have one for spraying artists' fixative onto charcoal/chalk sketches. Remember Adrian Hill on BBC? He once selected one of my sketches for his show, I think I still have the certificate!
Never thought of trying it with paint.
Pete
Adrian Hill, wow remember him well from the distant past .

First Name
Noel
Laurie, was the Badger with the cup on the side that you could not get on with one of the earlier 100XF air brushes?
Had mine since the mid 70's. It needs an overhaul now as the place where the cup slots into the body is worn and I guess that the tube from the cup is also, so it will be a new body and colour cup at some time soon. I have another Badger that is also a double action with a larger colour cup that slides into the body on the centre line just behind the nozzle area and can stick out of either side by choice. It was probably designed that way to enable RH and LH users. The other one I have is a single action with a very small reservoir let into the top of the body. As it takes a very small amount of liquid I would imagine that it was originally developed for photographic print retouching. They are both OK to use and clean up alright but am aware that things have moved on in the airbrush world.
I have tried out a few of the H&S airbrushes on Paul Fitzmaurice's Little Tools stand at shows and they impressed me as being a very high quality instrument and easy to use. Typical German engineering! So I would be very tempted to buy one with a top feed cup at some time in the future if I start looking again.
A lot of modellers wax lyrical about Iwata airbrushes so I guess that they must be very good although I have no experience of using one myself. Our local art shop was stocking them (at too a high price for me I can remember) years before the model making fraternity cottoned on to the make. Paasche, the most long lived manufacturer gets mentioned again and again by American modellers on forums. Again it is an excellent product that has hardly ever been pushed in the UK. The De Vilbiss Aerograph range was the top line UK made air brush back in the 70's aimed at the graphics market more than any other. I think that they only make one airbrush now along with their car and industrial spraying equipment. This is probably because a lot of graphics is now done on computer and they were never really serious about the model maker market anyway, so they dropped most of their airbrush models. They did made a bit of an excursion into the model making field with their Sprite Top Feed Airbrush that was basically a double action Aerograph with a number of plastic parts instead of plated metal. I don't know how long they made it for. I have one kicking around somewhere but hardly ever used it.
Had a look at the Aztec when it first came out, but it seemed too unconventional to me and a bit plasticky.
Don't know about the Cheap and Cheerful Chinese origin airbrushes, but expect they may be OK for very infrequent use. I would probably not consider one though as a regular workhorse.

D

Deleted member 5496

Laurie, was the Badger with the cup on the side that you could not get on with one of the earlier 100XF air brushes?
Had mine since the mid 70's. It needs an overhaul now as the place where the cup slots into the body is worn and I guess that the tube from the cup is also, so it will be a new body and colour

Hi Noel some 20 years ago now. Bit hazy. Think it was cup on the side. Near gave up model making until I cottoned on to the H & S.

Having had, I think I mentioned this above, both H & S & Iwata. Iwata is better engineered. Although I suspect I would not know the difference in my paint finish on either brush.

As also mentioned I got one Iwata brush from Japan at a very good price. worth scouting around.

Laurie

First Name
Noel
Hi Laurie, as you have both H&S and Iwata airbrushes you are much better suited to comment on both makes than me. I had a bit of a chuckle when I mentioned in another post that I still had two Badgers. I think it might have been you that replied back back jokingly 'best keep them in the garden!'.
If that old Badger of yours had the cup going into the side of the body it may well have been a 100XF like mine. The little cup on mine has a screw off bottom to enable cleaning. Once the tube to body fit started to get worn and sloppy I resorted to using small elastic bands to hold it in place and to stop it from falling out. I really will have to contact Badger and see if they still carry the spares for that model, having had it since 1973. The performance was actually very good until the cup to body wear started. I did a lot of work with it over the years with just the odd needle and nozzle change. I guess that I am a bit sentimentally attached to it although it has been stuck in a drawer for ages now!

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi Laurie, as you have both H&S and Iwata airbrushes you are much better suited to comment on both makes than me. I had a bit of a chuckle when I mentioned in another post that I still had two Badgers. I think it might have been you that replied back back jokingly 'best keep them in the garden!'.
If that old Badger of yours had the cup going into the side of the body it may well have been a 100XF like mine. The little cup on mine has a screw off bottom to enable cleaning. Once the tube to body fit started to get worn and sloppy I resorted to using small elastic bands to hold it in place and to stop it from falling out. I really will have to contact Badger and see if they still carry the spares for that model, having had it since 1973. The performance was actually very good until the cup to body wear started. I did a lot of work with it over the years with just the odd needle and nozzle change. I guess that I am a bit sentimentally attached to it although it has been stuck in a drawer for ages now!

No not me Noel about keeping them in the garden but very funny. like it

Did not keep the Badger long enough. Think I have mentioned near gave up model making as the Badger was sending me nuts.

Got the H & S & life in scale modelling abut 20 years ago took off. My favourite though is Iwata. Low profile on the cup just feels right.

No idea what happened to my Badger. In the bin or perhaps chucked it out into the garden :tongue-out3:

Laurie