A bonus, didn't expect this

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thinking about putting one into a strong pot and giving it to the grandson, the other, I'll pot on and keep in a plunged pot once it gets big enough (I've got a blackthorn that I did the same to about 10 years ago) the acorns were massive, easily the size of my thumb!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
What plant is that Gerry?

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I heard a quote the other day, 'What's the best time to plant a tree, 10 years ago'

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
What plant is that Gerry?

Cheers,
Richard
They're Oak trees, Richard - so not 'difficult' to grow over here, but it's the first time that I've tried to grow them in a pot with any success.
I heard a quote the other day, 'What's the best time to plant a tree, 10 years ago'
Yep, but you don't plant them for yourself, you plant for your children and grand-children - heard it said that an oak grows for 200 years, lives for 200 years and takes 200 years to die.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks Laurie, have tried buying bonzai trees in the past, but they've never survived for long, so thought that I'd try from scratch with one that will stay outside.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice to have them growing Gerry, I've got one in the backyard growing for four years now by chance.
Half a meter per year going up getting spoiled by the neighbors vegetablegarden:smiling:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Nice to have them growing Gerry, I've got one in the backyard growing for four years now by chance.
Half a meter per year going up getting spoiled by the neighbors vegetablegarden:smiling:
Good going, I think that I'll try and keep the one that I'll be keeping to something like a meter high (about the same as the blackthorn I've got) though don't know what my grandson will do with his!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice one. A mature oak can house over 270 species of bird and insect…..not many trees come close to that!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Nice one. A mature oak can house over 270 species of bird and insect…..not many trees come close to that!
Yes, probably be a few more with a load of ivy ;)
Must admit that my parents grave is marked by an oak (no stone)