A Brass Paint

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Need to paint a couple of parts, the problem I've got is its brass. Now the parts are the end caps to real brass cylinders, the pistons on my Jupiter Locomotive. I can find gold, have a few, Vallejo metal color and Zero gold leaf, so will try them but it would be good to find brass, I want it to have that polished brass look, any ideas guys.

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Mark,

have a look at AK True Metal

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Seeing this I found .

Don't know if i'd fancy using the ab brush to paint it because of the cleaning ! looks great even with the bush .

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm a firm fan of these tru metal paints. In reality they are a form of wax which paints on really well but can then be buffed up to achieve an extremely realistic level of shine.

John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Testor's Model Master line has Brass in their Lacquer base metallic series. HTH.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Funny, I've got some ak true metal including brass, never used it though, think I was frightened of it, how to use etc. Will you tube it and give it a shot, I'm presuming it needs primer first any type, black etc, answers on a postcard please.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Funny, I've got some ak true metal including brass, never used it though, think I was frightened of it, how to use etc. Will you tube it and give it a shot, I'm presuming it needs primer first any type, black etc, answers on a postcard please.
Think he says a normal primer was used, he shows 3 different items all primed with differing colours. Thought It looked good , well worth a try as normal brass Vallejo just looks flat .
That steel for figure painters showing a sword looked realistic enough.

looks flat

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Think he says a normal primer was used, he shows 3 different items all primed with differing colours. Thought It looked good , well worth a try as normal brass Vallejo just looks flat .
That steel for figure painters showing a sword looked realistic enough.

looks flat
Agree with Vallejo plus some others even tried gold but again came out well flat and unrealistic. So I'm going to try the AK True Metal and see how that looks. This model is certainly challenging from build through to paint, I wonder do you think it needs a varnish to seal it or will that just take the realism away, maybe, git bits to practice on anyhow, will let the forum know how it goes.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Vallejo plus some others even tried gold but again came out well flat and unrealistic. So I'm going to try the AK True Metal and see how that looks. This model is certainly challenging from build through to paint, I wonder do you think it needs a varnish to seal it or will that just take the realism away, maybe, git bits to practice on anyhow, will let the forum know how it goes.
That's a good point Mark. Suppose you'd want to keep the shin so a gloss type varnish I would think .

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I would not add a varnish Mark since that would add an odd finish to the piece. I have found that the shine stays put without any protection.

John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I would not add a varnish Mark since that would add an odd finish to the piece. I have found that the shine stays put without any protection.

John
Thanks John.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark

John
Won't it rub off, never used so need as much advice as possible

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do you intend to handle the model much?

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Probably not, it's going to be heavy and will be on a diorama, yet to build, but will be track based being my Jupiter Locomotive.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If it’s a model you’re not going to handle (except to build it), then the paint rubbing off won’t be a major concern, I would think. For, say, a wargames model or a working train model that you regularly have to put on or lift off its track, it would be something to keep in mind, but not for a model on a diorama, IMHO.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
If it’s a model you’re not going to handle (except to build it), then the paint rubbing off won’t be a major concern, I would think. For, say, a wargames model or a working train model that you regularly have to put on or lift off its track, it would be something to keep in mind, but not for a model on a diorama, IMHO.
Thanks for that, was a concern that it would affect the look of the finish, so that answers that question. :smiling: :thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Have you considered using Bare Metal Foil? They do it in Gold.
It's incredibly thin and conforms to quite complex shapes.
Pete