A destroyed and cooked Panzer IV. WW2. Part Two - Western Europe

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
On to Part Two and for a more temperate climate - Somewhere in Western Europe.

The tank.

I've over painted the D.A.K. colours with the usual three colour German tank camouflage.
Folks have different approaches to painting camo, which is as it should be. Here's mine and please don't shout at me......

I don't see the point in actually painting 'shade differences', panel lines etc. on a model. I let the natural light do the job for me.
In much the same way, I avoid long winded, multi layered painting processes. I just paint the basic colours on.

So often I see models with meticulously applied camouflage. Very nicely done, but somehow too squeeky clean. But if the individual prefers that look, that's absolutely bob on. - Their choice. :thumb2:

My own way is best explained by me trying to get into the mind set of the poor sap actually applying the paint.......

Consider this. The crew of a tank are given two colours of paint (green and Brown) and a brush, or spray gun, by the tank commander. Perhaps in the middle of a field or forest too!

"Right, there's our tank, get the paint on and be quick about it, your choice of pattern!"

These lads have probably never held a tin of paint, much less a brush, in their young lives and suddenly they are faced with this huge lump of metal. That is why there were probably no two tanks painted alike.

So this is why I prefer to apply the paint as I would think these poor souls would have done - One coat, very roughly, very patchy and very quickly painted on, with neatness being the last thing on their minds!

One coat only. Brush painted, slightly diluted with tap water, Vallejo 'Air' acrylics. One colour on, then quickly on with the next to allow the paints to slightly run into one and other to try and give a sort of 'Slap dash' kind'a look, with few hard edges. Finally, whilst the paint was still wet, I sprinkled some muck and dirt over the model.....

As I wrote at the start, this is just my way of painting armour. Some might, and probably do, think my reasoning to be a load of nonsense, that's fine. To each his own. ;)

P1290639.JPG

P1290640.JPG

P1290642.JPG

P1290638.JPG

P1290643.JPG

P1290644.JPG

P1290645.JPG

P1290648.JPG

P1290646.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

No complaints at all from me. Very nicely done. As you say they very often had to paint it on and thin it with whatever they had at hand be it a proper brush or just plain simple rags.

Another great effort.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone.
I hope my reasoning doesn't come over as being somewhat 'Pig Headed' or Dinosaur'ish. It's just that I like to approach my model making and painting as easily and simply as I can without any stress and angst about what are considered the 'absolute correct' colours and 'must have' latest finishes and techniques.

Obviously, now't wrong with them whatsoever - Just not for me.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks go to Andy, Andrew and Jim for posting nice comments on my painting of the Panzer.
Here's a photo from the finished Part 2. Western Europe.

P1290623.JPG

Cheers.
Ron