A disappeared then re-appeared U. Boat.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The good submarine 'Muff diver' Seriously I should know better than to drink coffee when reading your front stories....
Great work on junking the kit. This is going to look great when you get your funk on with the paint brushes.

D

Deleted member 7181

Off to a flying start. Looks like it's going to be another one of your masterpieces.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

It's persisting down here!

..... so a bit more progress.

P1240608.JPG
I've added some bent pipe and cable runs. I've also added a bit of rotted metal work to the torpedo exit area.

That will do, so next I'll start barneecaling and filling in orifices on my old 'Muff Diver'....

Incidentally, I don't know what's so funny about my choice of name for my sub. The Oxford Concise English Dictionary defines a 'Muff' as 'A warm fur tube that women insert their hands in to keep them warm.' Warped minds if you ask me!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Seems to be the Dutch responsible:
muff1
n noun
1 a short tube made of fur or other warm material into which the hands are placed for warmth.
ORIGIN
C16: from Dutch mof, Middle Dutch muffel, from medieval Latin muff(u)la, of unknown ultimate origin.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Moving quickly on after a swift bit of editing. Just in case.

This rain is a pest. I have to stay in the work shop.

1st coat of barni's. I used a crushed up Weetabix sprinkled over watered down PVA. (Other cereals are available, but not quite as good for making barneekals!)

Adding the inner hull has added a bit more substance and produced some nice nooks and crannies which sort of draw the eye in to have a peep.... :thumb2:

P1240609.JPG

P1240610.JPG

P1240611.JPG

P1240612.JPG

I'll let it dry then apply a second coat if required.
Thanks for looking.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I see you be like me Your Royal Ronness...rusty and kernackered subs.

AWESOME WORK!

Me like very much.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Saw the word Penang and had to read up. Have heard of U-Boats stationed at Penang. Some of them ended up in Singapore and their crew interned by the Japanese when Germany surrendered. The U-Boats were renamed as I boats and crewed by Japanese.

The crusty hull looks good Ron. I'd like to one day put a dremel onto a kit and really bash it up...therapeutic as some say. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is progressing much faster than I expected, won't be long and the hairy stick will come out!
Great stuff so far 570!

Cheers, Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your input chaps.

Second and final coating applied. I added some smashed up rice grains to the first 'Mix'. These sort of give the impression of Sea Urchins clambering over the wreck.
Notice also that this final dose gives the boat a more crusty look and removes more sharp edges.

P1240613.JPG

P1240614.JPG

P1240615.JPG

Spot the urchins!
P1240616.JPG

Left over night, the covering has gone rock hard, so time to add some colour.

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Watching it? I came up with the concept!.... ;):thumb2:

'ey up Ron! I reckon you're pullin' someone's plonker with that! OK, the main buildin' materials was toilet roll 'holders an' cereal boxes - but the backup was ALWAYS sticky-back plastic; an' I ain't never seed you usin' any o' that!!

PS While I'm here. I haven't posted much recently as I'm back down the salt mine working again. It's only for a few weeks, but at least it'll pay for Cosford for the next couple of years!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave - Good to read they can't muddle along without a 'proper' maths teacher!

Jim - I can't stand curry - or rather it can't stand me!
The Johnny Cash song 'Ring of Fire' comes to mind.... :loudly-crying:

Moving on...
I've started the painting process. Here and there I've dabbed on various browns and red/browns using a cut down old brush.
I've also darkened some holes to make more of a contrast between the inner and outer hulls.

This makes any pipework stand out a bit more too.
P1240617 (2).JPG

P1240619.JPG

P1240618.JPG

Next, I'll start to pick out any 'Life' to add a bit of colour to the wreck.

Cheers.
Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Loving this little adventure. Weetabix. LIve and learn.

Big thumbs up for the counties best re-cykler... I bet you are going to use the arse end as well later...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent posts boys... :thumb2:

Ian - Great idea! Wink, wink.

Si - My 'Muff in Batter' is proving very popular down at KFC (other face filling establishments are available)

O.k., I've turned my attention to just how to present the boat.
She has been lying underwater in warm shallow waters on an isolated and uninhabited stretch of coast line. A severe tropical storm has shifted her up the shoreline and finally exposed her.

Here's the start of the base work.
I've used a piece of polystyrene for the base and off-cuts stacked up of the same stuff for the shoreline.
P1240620.JPG

P1240621.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to see you're with the build Rick H. Thank you. One sucker for punishment though!

'Sand'/sea bed added. I've used crushed up small stones for this application. Sieved on to PVA.
P1240622.JPG

P1240623.JPG

Cheers all and thanks for looking in.

Ron