A Face Painting Tutorial

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
R

RichardMo

Today I sat down to read, re-read. and re-read this thread. I want to 1st thank you for your friendship, second your talent and third your willingness to do this SBS for us.
I really like your explanations on your process . Very helpful. what I have got out of this is ,even the shadows are very very dark at 1st the glazes you place over it after time tone them done to an acceptable color. I to often did not take it to that darker shadow 1st and ended up repainting the dark then glaze then repaint the dark.(never ending doing it that way ) and it would end up muddied.

A big thanks to Steve as well for making a Pdf of this to I will copy it with permission.
RICK.

D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - Very many thanks for your kind response. I'm glad the thing will be of some use.

I did start the helmet today and tried to paint it by dry-brushing. It didn't work, so I've stripped it down and I'll have another go tomorrow.

I've mounted him on a pedestal:

100_4278.JPG100_4279.JPG

I also spent some time cleaning him up and adding a few more highlights to the jacket. Nearly there.....

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you Peter for taking time to produce this excellent tutorial. I've got a couple of 1:32 pilot figures that might just get an inch of dust blown off them. If I'm brave enough.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Those head shots are stunning. A real inspiration to get figure painting. Keep up the great work.

D

Deleted member 6559

Colin - My pleasure, and if it prompts more people to tackle figures then I'm more than pleased.

Steve - Many thanks - get painting!

I decided to crack on and finish him:

100_4280.JPG100_4281.JPG

I found it hard to make anything of the helmet, but it appears that other people have also - it's not the best part of the kit. I painted the underside of the helmet in a very dark colour to help cast a deeper shadow, and I think it's shaded the face enough for me not to have to make any adjustments to the flesh tones.

Anyway he's done and I'm reasonably happy with the result.

A huge thank you to everyone for following along and for your kind words. I hope that you'll find it of use.

(Phew! I can relax now!).

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A real almanac for all to enjoy.I for one hope that it inspires others to have a go.Another cracker for the cabinet my friend.Very enjoyable to read and refer to.
Whats next they all cry?
Richard.

B

Brad9826

I also wish to thank you Peter, I have four figures in the offing to do, one of which was my ww1 gb machine gunner, he's been stripped back as wasn't completely happy with it.
Your sbs how come along at the right time, so again many thanks..
(it'll take me days to do what you probably do in a couple hours)

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

Excellent blog, really useful and a nice rinish to this bust.

I found one in my stash so tomorrow I think I will givie it a go ...

Peter

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Superb Peter,
Even seeing it broken down has me in awe....you are a true gentleman to share your technique with us:smiling4:
Well done sir:thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thank you peter for a superb step by step . Easy to follow and invaluable tips for us plebs wot cant do figures! Its something i really would like to get better at (well i cant get much worse!) and ive now got a great reference . Its also good to see you using nothing more fancy than some vallejo paints, a few good quality brushes and a big dollop of talent , Ive got the first two so with this guide maybe i can improve a bit. Is the technique basically the same for smaller scales (im thinking 1/32 ,1/35 )? or do you adapt it to the smaller size ? Cheers tony

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another superb bust, and nothing "cartoon" about it at all.

I have PM'd my friend, Guy, a link to the SBS, he has seen the 4 original "Day" busts I have and wants to see how they are created.

As for bad habits?

I wish all my modelling bad habits turned out so good!

3 days to recover, my son is now all organised and sorted out.

More finishing the unpacking than DIY.

Time to dust off my desk, paints and figures.

Your SBS and busts are a real inspiration, time to paint.

What's next?

Have a good weekend

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you very much people. I'm overwhelmed by the kind reception of this thread and am pleased that it will be of use to some of you. Of course, in hindsight, there's so much more I could say about the process, but I suppose it's best to keep these things simple.

One point I didn't mention is about brush-control; making the darned thing do what you want it to do. That, unfortunately is just down to practice. I've painted all my life and been to art school to study illustration and I still have enough trouble.

Next Steve, some new busts for Sarnia (at last, says Peter G).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi peter
A superb result and a real big thanks for taking the trouble to share your methods.
Jim

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter,
Thank you for posting this great thread,
I now have to build the courage to have a go myself.
Thanks again Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Peter thank you so much for this very generous gesture of sharing your techniques with us.
I shall be trying them out very soon
Neil

D

Deleted member 6559

I forgot to add, that of course any questions are more than welcome.