A few of mine...

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have been through this section and have found some marvellous tips. I love the way we all recycle. Sorry I haven't commented but I didn't want to bump a load of old threads, very poor form.

Here's a few of mine - apologies if they are repeats, and feel free to comment if you have a better way!

1. Colour mixing, I have found nothing better than waxed pill cups (a fiver for 250 on ebay/Amazon etc.). I find them so much better than palattes, there's little need to clean them, and they seem to be the best way to stop the paint drying or soaking in. I've not found the wax to react with acrylics. Just don't get the folded sided ones, get the tight-rolled. Also, there's little wasted paint as it doesn't dry.

2. I presume we all use sprue leftovers for stirring? I've found L-shaped to work best, with a corner cut in the heel so paint can be sucked through.

3. Steal the wife's/daughter's Sanctuary Spa boxes after Christmas. If you are a lady, keep them. Very useful for storage, very sturdy, lots of compartments, they're pretty enough if you don't have a cave, keeps you in touch with your feminine side, and sometimes even come with a carrying ribbon to break at an inopportune moment.

4. I've found that superglue will keep for a few years once opened if you use a vacuumable sealable jiffy bag.

5. If using g-clamps, put white tack on the inside. Saves scratching and applies sufficient but cushioned pressure.

6. When painting, don't paint the dog.

7. Similarly, don't let the dog do any painting.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I have been through this section and have found some marvellous tips. I love the way we all recycle. Sorry I haven't commented but I didn't want to bump a load of old threads, very poor form.

Here's a few of mine - apologies if they are repeats, and feel free to comment if you have a better way!

1. Colour mixing, I have found nothing better than waxed pill cups (a fiver for 250 on ebay/Amazon etc.). I find them so much better than palattes, there's little need to clean them, and they seem to be the best way to stop the paint drying or soaking in. I've not found the wax to react with acrylics. Just don't get the folded sided ones, get the tight-rolled. Also, there's little wasted paint as it doesn't dry.

2. I presume we all use sprue leftovers for stirring? I've found L-shaped to work best, with a corner cut in the heel so paint can be sucked through.

3. Steal the wife's/daughter's Sanctuary Spa boxes after Christmas. If you are a lady, keep them. Very useful for storage, very sturdy, lots of compartments, they're pretty enough if you don't have a cave, keeps you in touch with your feminine side, and sometimes even come with a carrying ribbon to break at an inopportune moment.

4. I've found that superglue will keep for a few years once opened if you use a vacuumable sealable jiffy bag.

5. If using g-clamps, put white tack on the inside. Saves scratching and applies sufficient but cushioned pressure.

I wish someone had told me about points 6&7! Mind you, he made a tidy job of the kitchen ceiling :smiling5:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan

I use the measuring spoon from used baby milk containers. Nice round bottom and it holds enough for any airbrush

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I used to use plastic shot glasses to mix in but in these environmental days with the emphasis on mental, I found some stainless steel eggcups and use those now. :hungry:
Superglue keeps very long in the fridge. Keep well away from the nasal spray though.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I used to use plastic shot glasses to mix in but in these environmental days with the emphasis on mental, I found some stainless steel eggcups and use those now. :hungry:
Superglue keeps very long in the fridge. Keep well away from the nasal spray though.

A very good point. Sadly I'm not allowed to keep glue in the fridge - our daughter is only 25 so we have to keep an eye on chemicals and sharp objects.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My favorite mixing cup is my old Fuji film containers that are transparent. Sadly film is no longer needed in photography now so the five I have is enough for mixing and temporary storage. They've been with me for twenty years.
McD ketchup dishes are great for acrylic paint pallets or water containers for decalling too.

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
CA glue really does keep well in the fridge as Ian says - I had a couple of bottles in there for ten years and they were still usable

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
if im mixing paint for airbrushing, or mixing pigments for weathering i use disposable plastic shot glasses

if im mixing paint for brush painting, or oils/enamels for washes i have some little stainless steel dishes, only about 50mm across/10mm deep, great cos since they are stainless they just wipe out.......think i got 5 for a quid in Ikea ages ago (i hate Ikea but always look for useful stuff modelling wise ;) )

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
(i hate Ikea but always look for useful stuff modelling wise ;) )

Their Detolf display cases are fantastic, if a little harsh on the pocket.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
2. I presume we all use sprue leftovers for stirring?
You presume wrong :smiling3: I use cocktail sticks for small pots (like Humbrol, Revell etc.) and ice lolly sticks for larger ones (such as Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo).

Oh, I might have to try that one …

You could simply replace these two tips by:

6. Don’t have a dog.

:tongue-out:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Their Detolf display cases are fantastic, if a little harsh on the pocket.

i find they let dust in too much, got rid of the ones i had when we moved

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
There is a fix on YT on how to seal them up to keep the dust out

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Something I always do is, a big blob of blu tak on the work surface to stick my Paint pot onto. Must have saved me a small fortune in spilt paint over the years.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Something I always do is, a big blob of blu tak on the work surface to stick my Paint pot onto. Must have saved me a small fortune in spilt paint over the years.

Ha, forgot that one! Almost every paint/glue/thinner pot I have has remnants of blutac on the bottom. Top tip sir, top tip.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I WONDER what happened to mr conkers then ? anybody know ?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lots of folks recommend liquid soap as a cleaner for brushes after using acrylic paint. I've been using one of those things with the push-down dispenser but always find I get too much soap or I leave little strings of it all over my sink. I put about 5mm soap in the bottom of one of those sauce dishes you get with your takeaway - although any small container with a sealed lid will do. Now I just dip the bristles of the brush in the pot, wipe it around on the palm of my hand then rinse under the tap. Repeat until the soap stops changing colour - job done. 2 minutes.