A game changer for Airfix?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Firstly this is not a review as such but a discussion on Airfix, a company that I have been rather hard on in the past.

I have just received from John the new 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer

Previously Airfix have used that horrible soft plastic, prone to warping and shrinkage. Their parts were not as cleanly moulded as many other brands, needing a lot of clean up. The engineering and design of their newer kits was excellent though, just let down by that horrible plastic.

Now though that seems to be in the past.

This new Buccaneer has a harder, better plastic. It seems almost to be Tamiya standard and the parts look to be cleanly moulded. The detail is very fine and there are none of the trench-like surface detail we have seen in the past. No short shots either.

All in all the Buc is an impressive package.

If all future kits are produced like this then I suspect Airfix reputation will sky rocket. It will be a while until I build this model and the proof will be in the eating but, compared to the last two Airfix kits I have had, the 1/48 Blenheim and 1/24 Hellcat this really is a massive improvement.

One final thought. This kit was made in India, though of this improved plastic. Their next major release, the 1/24 Spitfire IX is being made in the U.K. so it will be interesting to see just how that stacks up.

Fingers crossed that it is now onwards and upwards for Airfix

Just a few pictures of sprues
07D52A18-9F09-4308-9EE2-FDA969A2ACC3.jpeg
3E1C1D19-2293-4EF2-903E-2E6CB71AF60B.jpeg
2E4818BC-116B-46C4-ACD2-903CC1F0805E.jpeg
9EC2F8B0-E9EE-46E8-A8F6-C054418BD03F.jpeg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I saw some sprue shots of their K2Y Ambulance and that too looks to be well detailed and crisp in detailing, beige plastic! not the typical gray... hmm £33 by the way...

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I saw some sprue shots of their K2Y Ambulance and that too looks to be well detailed and crisp in detailing, beige plastic! not the typical gray... hmm £33 by the way...
The test shots i have seen show for example low quality tiedowns on the engine cover. Compare to Gecko's almost identically priced ( but already available ) model. @ https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/1-...e-k2-y-heavy-ambulance-35gm0070-gecko-models/

1660233719356.png1660233925943.png

The stretcher area at the rear has weird sized plastic channels on the airfix version. real world comparison pics @ https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a2123

1660234089345.png1660234170287.png

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
The front door covers and rear door rivet detail look much nicer on the gecko too

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The test shots i have seen show for example low quality tiedowns on the engine cover. Compare to Gecko's almost identically priced ( but already available ) model. @ https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/1-...e-k2-y-heavy-ambulance-35gm0070-gecko-models/

View attachment 460706View attachment 460707

The stretcher area at the rear has weird sized plastic channels on the airfix version. real world comparison pics @ https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a2123

View attachment 460708View attachment 460709
The pictures you've put here can't be compared the Airfix pictures are the plastic parts from the kit. The Gecko picture are CAD images.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
The pictures you've put here can't be compared the Airfix pictures are the plastic parts from the kit. The Gecko picture are CAD images.

Open box review with pictures of sprues and pe @ https://www.panzer-modell.de/ausgepackt/archiv/gecko/gm0070.htm

video @

I have a friend who has completed the kit and says the pe is as good as the images I originally tagged , and the kit is a very nice piece of work.

I know which one I will be buying when I have the cash.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Now these are pictures that can be used for a comparison.
The actual plastic does look very good and the detail good. There is certainly a lot of it!
As to the detail in the tooling being that much better than the Airfix version.... Not 100% convinced.
Anyone have a parts count on both versions?

Not a fan of MBK reviews. Have seen a few but seldom to the end. (This one I suffered). It would help a great deal, and make them easier to watch if he could put the plastic down and get a good focus instead of waving it around all the time. Yes there is a pause button. Not always easy to stop it on an in focus image.