A 'Good' Day in The Bay of Biscay...VII-C U.Boat

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is a 1/144 Revell U. Boat kit. I've tried to make a rough sea with the boat running with the waves, rather than the usual crashing head on into them.

It was a toughy to visualise, because the boat's top surface speed was 10 knots and waves travel at around 20mph, so the waves would actually pass the boat, causing it to wallow in the troughs of the waves.

I managed to get some 1/144 figures, but I think they are too small, but I stuck them on anyway!

I hope you like this interpretation of the Bay of Biscay on a calm day!!!

View attachment 75965

View attachment 75966

View attachment 75967

View attachment 75968

View attachment 75969

View attachment 75970

View attachment 75971

View attachment 75972

View attachment 75973

View attachment 75974

View attachment 75976

I don't know how the diddy one below ended up where it did, hey ho!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 75975

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 002.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 012.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 001.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 007.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 006.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 004.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 015.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 014.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 016.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 018.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 019.jpg

Bay of Biscay  VII-C U. Boat 008.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Another sub classic from the Ronster. Superb attention to detail and outstanding visuals. I like this one.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Here you go again Ron taking photos of real things and passing them off as models :smiling3:

Great build Ron another master piece I was thinking along similar lines a while back but the rough sea scared me off lol

A

AlasdairGF

Fantastic - the water coming off the boat is particularly well done, seems like a photo.

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely brilliant. What a fantastic water effect. It so reminds me of the shots from Das Boot, where the sub is running with the weather across the North Atlantic. This is a brilliant diorama and unbelievable that it is only 1/144th scale. I couldn't get that good with a 1/72nd attempt!!

First Name
Richard
Hi Ron,

I am glad this is a Forum and not a skipe/video conversation kind of thing, hat to get my wife to close my mouth after 5 minutes of watching the pictures of your build.

I cant get enough of the way you create that realistic water absolutely cool, cant find any other words for it.

Cheers Richi

ps what's a diddyo_O

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for the amazing posts from you good people. I'm humbled by your positive response to my 'Boat'

Richie, 'diddy' is slang for something small...... a diddy willy for instance - My wife told me to type that!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Hey Ron didn't ken Dodd start that off with the Diddy men ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb Sub matey , the water is your usual totally real standard , amazing . THe figures look fine , in fact I'm sure the guy on the rail of the conning tower is hurling over the side , as you say a normal day in the bay of Biscay!!LOL!! Great job mate , cheers tony

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
goodness me Ron .... the dio's u did before were masterful but i think u r getting better and better ... simply fantastic mate ....

First Name
Richard
\ said:
Thanks ever so much for the amazing posts from you good people. I'm humbled by your positive response to my 'Boat'Richie, 'diddy' is slang for something small...... a diddy willy for instance - My wife told me to type that!
That's why I like this forum, not only that I learn a lot about modelling but my English gets improved to.

Thanks Ron, and I know who willy is:D.

Cheers Richi

C

Caledonia

Another Ron masterpiece. How do you manage to make the water so real. The B&W photos fit nicely with the era - very atmospheric. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
WOW. Those photos almost made me barf!

Great work Ron. How are you going to follow that.

Oh I know how about a Tsunami !!!

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Superb Sub matey , the water is your usual totally real standard , amazing . THe figures look fine , in fact I'm sure the guy on the rail of the conning tower is hurling over the side , as you say a normal day in the bay of Biscay!!LOL!! Great job mate , cheers tony
One man's hurly is another man's burley, get the lines over the side :D

Very realistic looking Ron, you have captured the moment nicely. I enjoy seeing all your water scenes.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. Apart from the excellent comments, the posts did make me chuckle.....Don't you just love this forum?!

Alan, he certainly did, and they came from Knotty Ash, an area which really does exist in Liverpool.....

If my mucker Tony reckons the figures look o.k., that'll do me!

Lindsey, great to see you posting on here again...

Ian, if you don't mind I'll waive the Tsunami.....See what I typed then?!!!!

Thanks again to all,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oops, sorry double post! Gone now....

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Willi262

I liked the B/W photos again, very historical. I wish my camera had alternate color settings, but it doesn't.

I need to get me a U-boat...