A GREAT TREAT TODAY THE RED ARROWS.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good afternoon all .
This afternoon we were treated to a display of the Red Arrows doing a display at RAF Wittering .
These photos were taken from the garden of Race Towers. Hope you enjoy looking at them. We are lucky here in Stamford as the Battle Of Britain Flight is based near by, and we are used to various types of planes from Chinooks to Typhoons flying over it seems most days.

IMG_3123.jpgA1.jpgIMG_3127.jpgA15.jpgIMG_3128.JPGIMG_3129.jpgA3.jpgIMG_3131.jpgA4.jpgIMG_3136.jpgA5.jpgIMG_3138.jpgA5.jpgIMG_3141.jpgA6.jpgIMG_3150.jpgA7.jpgIMG_3161.JPGIMG_3162.jpgA9.jpgIMG_3169.jpgA11.jpgIMG_3171.jpgA13.jpgIMG_3176.jpga14.jpg

John.
Comments welcome .

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Excellent,
Bet that was a joy to watch....not been to an air show since I was about 8 or 9 and remember seeing the sally B?
Si

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Si,
Yes it was, after having mentioning to you about those Euro Fighters earlier, no sign just the engine, and no sight of the Hurricane either .
john.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice shots ! - shame about the dust on the lens ...
Not meant as a criticism - is it digital slr or point and shoot ?
I had the same on my Nikon digital slr - quite easy to get rid of it and shoot like new again !

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
You lucky devil. I saw them a few years ago. Thrilling.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice shots ! - shame about the dust on the lens ...
Not meant as a criticism - is it digital slr or point and shoot ?
I had the same on my Nikon digital slr - quite easy to get rid of it and shoot like new again !

Hi Steve it is a Canon 5D with Canon EF a 100 - 400mm lens.
It was a quick rush to get the lens out of its bag as I don't use it much these days, quickly put it on and shoot. Will have to get the blower out !

Thanks Jim............ We are lucky living here for planes, mind you after a day of Euro Fighter shattering the peace you can get a bit miffed.
John.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Nice rig, I have the 7D2 and the mk2 100-400 for birding...
I assume some of these are cropped? If so, may well be dust on the sensor. Is the 5d fitted with the sensor clean function at switch off like the 7d2? If so, you might just need to turn it off and on again a few times....
Cheers
Tim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Tim .
Yes think it has. You know how things go, changing lenses, I keep the caps on, but for that split second when you've removed the lens the dust is in. I will consult the instruction book.
I got the lens for that reason ! used to love to go to Norfolk, photographing the migrating birds.

Thanks Mick :thumb2:

John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Great shots John. I never remember to have my camera ready when something interesting flies over. Bet it was noisy too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
Never made Norfolk yet, been to Minsmere a couple of times though. Nice area, you need to get out again.....
If your interested my meagre stuff is posted on Flickr, obviously under tim...
Cheers
Tim

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Thanks .
I was somewhat ready as Kay went for a check up and said she would miss the display. I had no idea it was on. At first we could only hear the Euro Fighters, then Christine suddenly saw them.
I rushed up stairs to get the lens, luckily it was quite a display. Normally I rush out side to see a tail plane disapperearing behind a roof .:smiling2:
John .

out side to see a tail dissappearing behind a house .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Never made Norfolk yet, been to Minsmere a couple of times though. Nice area, you ineed to get out again.....
If your interested my meagre stuff is posted on Flickr, obviously under tim...
Cheers
Tim
Tim .
I've just checked your work out, meagre it is not. !!!! Great bird shots, very clear and well place . Most impressed with the waterfalls, love how you caught the water like that . A real ethereal feel to it .
I never seem to get shots like that. I've learn'tmore since I started to photo my models.
I joined a camera club, but they spent time having competitions, I wanted to learn about lens, setting etc . After a period of 6 months nothing had changed so I left . Then I would just set the camera to auto. ! These days I shoot on various setting, still a big learning curve .
John .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John, thanks a lot, much appreciated.......
To be honest, I don’t get most of them in the right place first time, but the crop tool is really useful skill to learn....
As to camera settings and such, YouTube and the net are very much your friend.....use terms such as “EOS 5d set up for bird photography” and see what comes up. The other “trick” is to get to eye level with the subject and try to have a clear background....and focus on the eye of the animal....
My camera also has three “pre set” modes which I have set up for birds in flight, static birds, and general shots, which I use almost exclusively. This means I don’t have to think, just pick a mode, point and shoot....
I also shoot a lot of pictures. The 6 Kite shots, for example, were culled from about 1500 shots....
Cheers
Tim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim .
It's a good job we don't use film any more then ! Today I'd taken 64 before I knew it .
Thanks for those tips, I shall look.
I did do a clean, but the mark is still there, so will check tomorrow.
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific stuff John! Seen them a few times now. Before the joys of health and safety they used to go down the Fowey and Dartmouth estuary literally meters from the river bank. Awesome! Thanks for sharing mate:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Always welcome mate
J