A Heap of Scrap Metal on a Paradise Shoreline.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thought I'd already posted this, but it seems not! Ron, props are often made of cast bronze, highly attractive to thieves.

Pete
I agree, but I considered the chance of petty thieves and scroungers having the necessary cutting and lifting gear in what is possibly a remote location to be pretty much zero.

The prop. I had on my boat was only 16" across and that was a sod to get off even in the comfort of a boat yard

I still think leaving the prop. on adds a bit more interest to the stern section.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron, Looks like an interesting project, I'll follow along. Some ships have anti barnacle paint on their hulls, but it doesn't last forever, barnacles do make the subject more interesting, after all, they give a bit of texture.:thumb2:
Graeme - One of my most hated task when I owned a sailing boat was once the boat yard had hauled her out for the winter, I had to scrape and clean her hull from one end to the other and then apply fresh anti fouling. The stuff would only last one season. This vessel, which I'm trying my best to model into something like acceptable has been buffeted by all sorts of weather for some years, so I reasoned the topical marine growth would be having a field day. Right or wrong that's how I'm going to try and make a go of something I've not tried before.
Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Be aware of what birds appear in the tropics !
On a serious note this is looking really good, the barnicals are very realistic .
Got my chair out of the wind and in the shade.
453 .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't know what magic spells you use Ron, but I wish you'd cast a few in my direction1 If I'd tried that, I'd end up with it looking exactly like I'd thrown some grit onto a plastic model!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I don't know what magic spells you use Ron, but I wish you'd cast a few in my direction1 If I'd tried that, I'd end up with it looking exactly like I'd thrown some grit onto a plastic model!
Dave I think they are real and he breeds them in the bath !
John :smiling2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the compliment Dave.

453 - ...... and crabs too!............:flushed:

Oh, and keep that b****y bird firmly on it's perch.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
He's not going to appear 570, trust me .
J Snodgrass
The Liars Society.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just caught up with this one matey , sterling work ! i can see its going to be another superb bit of modelling , your barnacles are simply breathtaking (I bet youve heard that a few times !) If you dont mind I'll open up a deckchair and watch along with the rest ,knotted hankie on head ,99 in hand ,
yours A P Gumby

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Great job. Those barnicles are looking good and I agree woth your deIsion to leave the prop - it does add a little interest.
Peter

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just a few pictures, purely for discussion purposes only trawled from the 'net.332309332310

The place for shipwrecks is the Skeleton Coast, Namibia - they look like film sets..........

I went to Walvis Bay in 1977- that coastline is truly awful - you could survive a shipwreck, only to die of starvation, or more likely thirst.
Removing propellers? Easy, if you aren't bothered about causing more damage - gas axe through the prop shaft..................
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great photos there Dave. There are some on the net from Aral the dried up sea in Russia

John .
Just a few pictures, purely for discussion purposes only trawled from the 'net.View attachment 332309View attachment 332310

The place for shipwrecks is the Skeleton Coast, Namibia - they look like film sets..........
View attachment 332307View attachment 332308

I went to Walvis Bay in 1977- that coastline is truly awful - you could survive a shipwreck, only to die of starvation, or more likely thirst.
Removing propellers? Easy, if you aren't bothered about causing more damage - gas axe through the prop shaft..................
Dave

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input and pictures boys. I was looking at similar photos a few weeks ago. The vessel I'm hoping to create will not have been aground quite so long. Sorry to disappoint anyone who thought otherwise.

Just got back from a couple of days 'Riding the Train'. Me and the bride went nearly the full length of Wales on a clipperty clop courtesy of our bus passes - All for nowt! It would have cost us £140 return. Yet another retirement advantage....... :thumb2:

Now back to more mundane interests......

Before I think about any destruction I've decided paint the vessel pretty colours first and add more marine growth where required..

A bit more colour added....

The prop. is staying on.....so there!

Cheers.
Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You live in Wales then Ron? I'm annoyed when I visit my birth city of Cardiff, as my English bus pass doesn't work in Wales. :angry:
Nice barnacles!

Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You live in Wales then Ron? I'm annoyed when I visit my birth city of Cardiff, as my English bus pass doesn't work in Wales. :angry:
Nice barnacles!
Pete
...only just. I live but three miles inside the Welsh border nr. Chester. I can get to Chester on my bus pass, but no further into England. Daft isn't it?

Glad you like my barnacles.....:flushed:

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Really looking the part now.
Bus passes are odd. I live in Oswestry (England) I can travel to Chester (England) but not Wrexham (Wales) despite the bus from Oswestry to Chester going through Wrexham!!
Jim

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
WOW, that is coming to life...erm death.:astonished:

Look good!:thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Ron
Really looking the part now.
Bus passes are odd. I live in Oswestry (England) I can travel to Chester (England) but not Wrexham (Wales) despite the bus from Oswestry to Chester going through Wrexham!!
Jim
What do they do if you try to get off?

I used mine in Florida once - there's a bus (called a trolley, but it isn't) that runs along the Gulf Coast and is free for over-65s on production of a proof of age, so I used my English bus pass. The rules say nothing about requiring American proof of age!

Pete