'A heap of scrap metal on a paradise shoreline'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This was my first go at such a model. Great fun trying to get it all summat like.

I had intended to have the vessel half submerged. As far as I'm concerned the only way to achieve this properly and to give water depth is to inlay the hull, rocks, everything into a sheet of clear plastic. I tried a couple of times but wasn't happy with my efforts and it proved to be beyond my skills, so up the beach she went!

It's been a strange build in a way because I had no idea what I wanted. I just did a bit, then opened a can and stared at it and then thought "That might look o.k., let's have a bash." and so on.
I had initially intended to just lightly rust the wreck to make it look like a fairly recent addition to the shoreline, but I got carried away with the rusting effect. Then came the hull holes and the rest just kind'a happened.
Rather too many pictures too!

All brush painted with cheap acrylics. The base and rocks are polystyrene. The sand is smashed up stones and the water is clear silicone.

A special thanks to him 'Up There' for providing an hour of superb and varied skies for the backdrop.

P1220290.JPG

P1220275.JPG

P1220308.JPG

P1220293.JPG

P1220310.JPG

P1220311.JPG

P1220285.JPG

P1220314.JPG

P1220321.JPG

P1220317.JPG

P1220325.JPG

P1220326.JPG

P1220332.JPG

P1220334.JPG

P1220336.JPG

P1220338.JPG

P1220343.JPG

P1220339.JPG

P1220342.JPG

P1220345.JPG

Thanks for looking and I hope you liked the pictures.

Cheers.
Ron

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fantastic work Ron, there's plenty there to help me along with my attempt at a wrecked ship.
A great build, base and photo's.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is excellent work 570. The back drop was indeed cooperative with the filming. I'd be mighty proud of that if I were you.
Cheers, Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great scene. Outstanding work. I take pics, you take photographs. Just stunning results. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brilliant 570.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hey Ron, did you realise you'd uploaded the wrong pics? It's clear these are the ones you took when you an' Justine did that mini tour of the Scottish Islands a couple of years ago. I distinctly remember you saying you'd found this fabulous wreck that you were going to try and copy.

Can you correct your mistake and put up the pics of your finished kit please, 'cos I'd love to see how well it turned out?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oh, n
Hey Ron, did you realise you'd uploaded the wrong pics? It's clear these are the ones you took when you an' Justine did that mini tour of the Scottish Islands a couple of years ago. I distinctly remember you saying you'd found this fabulous wreck that you were going to try and copy.

Can you correct your mistake and put up the pics of your finished kit please, 'cos I'd love to see how well it turned out?

Oh no, I've been rumbled! And of all people it had to be Mr. Dave.....
O.k., I admit to being a fraud. I beg your forgiveness. I promise to double up on Tunnocks at Cosford.

Here is the real finished kit.
P1220353.JPG

...and now to answer Neil's question. I get the clear silicone from Lidl. It only becomes available now and then. Just keep your eyes peeled, then stock up. Be aware in some outlets, tubes of silicone will have 'Translucent' marked on the tube. This is indeed milky when dry.

Finally, what a terrific response to my wreck model. Absolutely amazing. Thank you all ever so much, I really did get a buzz on reading all your very generous comments.

Thanks again chaps.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron

Dave is right. I remember now where I have seen it. When I lived on the island I walked along that part of the coast a few times. Just a little south of Orinsay on the Isle of Harris. Fancy you being caught in a fraud. Shame on you! :tongue-out3::smiling2::smiling4::cool:

Joking aside it really is a stunning model which shows that skill and imagination will always beat throwing money at a build.

Jim