A leaky tube

zuludog

SMF Supporter
The threads on my tube of Green Putty are faulty so that the top will not screw down properly. I can't tell if it is the tube or the plastic cap that is at fault

That means the filler at the open end of the tube is becoming quite hard; lately I've had to poke through with a metal rod to get at the soft stuff; eventually the whole tube will become solid

Any suggestions as to how to make a better seal?

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Try using pttf tape a plumbers best mate 

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I was going to say put some plastic ,then screw down the cap, 9_9

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not tried it with green putty, but on those tubes of bathroom sealent I find putting a double layer of clingfilm over the opening and threads and then screwing the lid on works well.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I'd thought of PTFE tape, or putting a piece of plastic bag or clingfilm over the tube, but the threads are so worn that you cannot screw the cap down tightly. The threads are obviously stripped somewhere

So all I've done is to cut off the sealed end of the faulty tube then squeeze/decant all the putty into a small glass jar with a lid. It's not perfect, but it's rescued most of the filler

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Zulu seems you've put it into a jar, decant some of it into another jar then add some cellulose thinners into it and give it a mix then you'll have some very thin filler very similar to Mr surfacer. I do it all the time.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
I'm ahead of you!

Like most modellers I'm something of a hoarder. The jar I used held pickles or tomato paste or something, but I cleaned it out.

I stirred up the Green Filler with some cellulose thinners to the consistency of yogurt or double cream, so as you say it can be painted on like a thicker version of Mr Surfacer. I think I've made enough to keep me going for the forseeable future

Ages ago I had already scrounged a couple of empty nail varnish bottles off my daughter. The procedure is to apply my home made goo with the built in brush from the nail varnish bottle, then return it, so that the bottle acts as a keeper to prevent the filler from drying on the brush. I think I'll trim the brush slightly so it's a bit more manageable

Thus my filling regime (posh word, eh) is - Milliput for large areas or where strength is needed; Green Stuff for general use; my own goo or Mr Surfacer for small cracks & final finishes

Obviously I need to buy another tube of Green Stuff