A Letter from Vietnam......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ma and Pa.

I hope you are both well and looking after yourselves and I hope my 'Little' kid brother is not messing up the house too much!

Don't you worry none ma, it's not all rough in 'Nam, and to prove it, I've sent a few pictures for you to look at. My platoon buddy, Bubba Henry and me took a walk while we were on R and R last week.....It's safe there, but I still had to carry my piece and basic equipment, but Charlie is miles from here anyway!

Just look what we found, it's just like the stream that runs through Mr. Peaboddy's farm up in the mountains...Ha Ha!

Bubba just had to take a few pictures before we skeedaddled back to camp.

Anyway, I gotta go now, it's shack time. You both take care now, and Tim, you take care of our mom and dad 'till I get home....

I kept this bit until last.....I've been told my tour finishes in a month, so I'll be home in time for Thanks Giving. I can't wait to see you all again...

Your son,

Tommy

Three weeks after this letter was written, Tommy and his whole platoon were destroyed in a N.V.A. surprise assault, which marked the start of the Tet Offensive....Tommy became one of the 58.000 American Service Personnel to loose their lives in Vietnam.

View attachment 50010

View attachment 50011

View attachment 50012

View attachment 50013

View attachment 50014

View attachment 50015

View attachment 50016

View attachment 50017

View attachment 50018

View attachment 50019

View attachment 50020

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 045.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 030.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 035.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 036.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 037.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 038.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 039.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 040.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 042.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 043.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 044.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A beautiful piece of work Ron, and i like the letter that pulls it all together.

Tony.

M

mobear

W.... O......W is all i can say,the whole thing is truly awe inspiring,the scenery,waterfall and the main man himself,beautifully put together,5*s from me and another from the wife

mobear

C

CDW

Thats just awesome Ron, just bloody awseome !!!!

Showed the pictures to Elaine (t'other arf) who was mega impressed, then read the letter out ... strange that even though it's only made up for the diorama i still had a lump in my throat when i read the last bit out ... very convincing mate (or i'm a complete sentimental wuss:smiling3:)

five HUGE celestial bodies from me *****

P

Polux

I like very much your kind of works, Mr. Ron, always proving new and different things.

The environment is very important, and you always can find it!!!

A very nice letter!!

Top Job!

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys for your posts on this, I'm glad it's past muster. Thanks also for the 5*....All good stuff!

I was thinking how best to compose 'Tommy's letter' when I came up with the idea of an optimistic, cheery outlook kind of thing, and then slap it down at the end....I'm sure this happened on many an occasion during that useless war.

I forgot to add when finishing off my build thread, a big thanks to Dave (gern) for letting me have a couple of 'nam figures.....Have you ever seen such an ugly mush? The figure, not Dave!!!

Cheers all,

Ron

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Real nice dio bud lots of thought gone into this and it looks class nice another top dio

Geegad

C

Caledonia

Beats me where you get your inspiration from Ron. 5 Star for the Dio and 5 Star for the very touching letter, which most probably was applicable to some poor joe in that terrible war. Cheers Derek

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I forgot to add when finishing off my build thread, a big thanks to Dave (gern) for letting me have a couple of 'nam figures.....Have you ever seen such an ugly mush? The figure, not Dave!!!

Ron
I only sent 'em 'cos I knew they was going to a good home! ***** as usual Ron.

PS You didn't have to say it was the figure that was ugly. The guys have seen my picture and they know I'm the best lookin' guy on the forum!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've gone and done it again! I have only just had a fresh look at this thread and read the up to date posts, so.....

Chris, Derek, Mike, John and Dave, thank you for all your great comments on my dio. and also my apologies (again) for the late response.....

Glad you like the dio. Dave, and thanks again for the pug ugly marines!

Anything goin' on build wise mate?

Ron