A little of what you Fantasy

P

Polux

John...you are showing how many work there is behind a diorama. A magnificent diorama!
Excellent build so far.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for hanging in there Polux

First floor built and primed. Very happy how this came out, and learned lots about casting buildings along the way.

This is another Fantasy Cliche..... The Inn....

John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow from here, Mrs R complemented you on the garden said it looked real, :nerd::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: praise indeed John .
Thanks for the SBS, you make it look so easy !
The other John .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Your kind comments are really appreciated and I am having lots of fun playing with new techniques etc etc.

I know some of you are already expert at this but for me casting has always been a dark art. Having looked at a number of fantasy based sites I saw that casting paving floors, walls etc etc was very common. So although I don't know what I am going to do with this yet I thought I would give it a go, and provide a simple SBS for anyone who wants to try the same experiments. I decided to try to cast a section of rough stone wall.

Step one involved cutting a 1cm thick sheet of insulation foam, and then cutting it into rough stone shaped blocks. I sanded off the edges to give a worn look and stuck them together with white glue to form a basic wall. I then took a sharp knife and cut this in half along the long axis and stuck both halves to a piece of firm card, Step 2. This was given a coat of acrylic sealer and a thin coat of Gesso just to protect it.

View attachment 329709

I found some quick set silicone mould making putty in my local art store, Photo 4 shows the stuff I found. This comes in two parts, and like miliput etc you simply mix the two putties together to form the quick set moulding stuff. I smothered my rough wall with this mixture. Now this stuff takes about 10 minutes to set so you need to work fast.

View attachment 329710

After 10 minutes I peeled the mould off the original and voila! a rubbery mould ready to go. Step 5. I then made two casts from this mould the first in Hydrocal (like plaster of paris) and the second in quick set resin mix.

View attachment 329711

I think the result is very acceptable in both cases. The hydrocal version is probably cheaper to make than the two part resin mix.
I intend to continue casting these sections then to create some kind of house or castle etc by simply sticking them together maybe on a light cardboard backing. Notice that with the form I have made they fit together top to bottom, end to end and you can turn each casting in any direction so that the finished wall does not appear too repetetive.

I hope this is useful to someone.

John
John,
One word of advice, if you are going to do multiple castings then use a release agent, it can be a brush on or a spray can, I prefer to brush as more control. But once you have worked your magic on the walls i am sure they will fit in. Mike.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John Thanks for the support and thanks to SWMBO too

Mike Thanks for the tip. So far the silicone moulds seems to be pretty good at releasing.

Thanks Scottie

So from just a few casting experiments this has grown into a full scale build of a sort of Inn. Lots still to do but making progress. The deck will be finished after the lower story is painted. The roof and some of the walls still need texturing, and the tower needs a roof. Of course there will be lights.

Oh and those are mounting blocks out front for any riders coming or going.

John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Ta very much chaps. This is still keeping my mojo going on what is for me, a long build.

After endless hours of painting, touching up, repainting etc etc a have now got a bus for my merry band of adventurers.

View attachment 329454

Nice little model but an "osti de cochon a peinturer" as we might say here. Give me some splinter camouflage at 1/35 any day.

John
hi,this is great,well done on it,
what scale,and were did you find it please,:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
That is looking excellent. Casting has been a real success. As you have the moulds now you will be able to build a whole town!
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,

That some great work, the castings have come out really well!
The whole thing looks mysterious with its dungeon like doors....very nice indeed.
Look forward to seeing some painting :thumb2:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Monica

Thanks very much and I found it in my juvenile imagination.

Thanks Jim but don't let SWMBO hear any whispers of this getting any bigger.

Si Thanks mate. Really having some fun with this. I think I am more of an architect than an engineer.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t know about that John, I think you are more of an artist than most of us though...this is great....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great inn John...I'm looking forward to the deck if that's what the stairs is leading to. With your skills I'd like to see you try a Minangkabau house :smiling2:...that would be interesting.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
You can go off people when everything they do is excellent it makes us mere mortals very jealous.:tongue-out3: Very nicely done mate

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excuse me John .

Great inn John...I'm looking forward to the deck if that's what the stairs is leading to. With your skills I'd like to see you try a Minangkabau house :smiling2:...that would be interesting.

Cheers,
Richard
Just looked that up Richard, looks a nightmare to build, let alone model !
John .

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I can see that all of you are frequenters of Inns. Thanks a million for all the support. Scottie I don't think I could do as well as you with your vehicles and weathering. I agree with JR those Minang-a-thingies would be a challenge. By the way I didn't mention that this is about 32mm scale say around 1/55th.

I had been struggling with the roof for the little tower of this inn. I knew the shape I wanted but wasn't sure how to achieve the look of tiles without months of work. Finally I turned to my old faithful Magic Sculpt and a technique I saw on the interwebs of adding texture by gently running a ball of scrunched up tin foil over the surface. I have also been cladding the third floor tower room and the entrance door on the deck. The little duck in the 2nd picture is my stab at a duck weather vane which will top off the tower, and give the inn the name The Dirty Duck.

John