A little of what you Fantasy

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John, I like the use of the ice-cream sticks for the tower wall panelling. Nearly resembling the Pizza Hut roof :smiling2: Scale is even smaller than 1/48.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard Thanks mate I was going for medieval pizza hut.

Now to playing around with colour palette. This represents about 3 hours of trying different colours and finishes. The roof is not done yet although I will finish it in a colour not too far off the Tamiya primer grey. The dirty duck is mounted on the roof and suitably coppered.

Done with acrylics, acrylic wood stains and acrylic inks. The stucco is an acrylic texture medium called.....Stucco which is just a medium with ceramic dust added.

John

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John, John, John, absolutely dead-on. Very artful. Looks like a lot of fun. PaulE

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you everyone. This is turning into a bit of a marathon, but I'm having great fun doing it. Quite a bit of progress made. Roofs are built but the main still requires weathering etc. Lighting is in, more later. Deck is built. All through the build I have kept each storey seperate for ease of painting, and for access to the lights. I may just stick the top two floors when the roof is weathered.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Like the others I am so impressed. The artist in you really shines through in your ideas, composition and painting.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
You can always tell when someone is having fun with their builds things just flow and grow.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
Amazing, really amazing. I know where to look when I eventually tackle my first building, there are a few building experts on this site, so be warned I will be blatently stealing your ideas.
Mike.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gentlemen Very happy if any of my postings helps with some ideas or techniques. Really appreciate the support.

I have finished the main roof, so for what it is worth, I thought I would just show a little SBS for the finishing.

1. The tiles are sculpted on to the cardboard roof using Magic sculpt. The texture is added by using a ball of tin foil to roll over the surface. Left to set then primed.

2. The tiles are then painted with a cheap craft acrylic called Oxblood. When this is dry I give it all a wash with Oil paint, Van Dyke Brown thinned with lots of white spirit.

3. When this dries I used a set of artists soft pastels. These are very cheap. I got a box of every color imaginable for less than $20. I apply fairly roughly then use a flat dry brush to smooth out a little and to blend. You want to keep the individual look of each tile and to add subtle color changes across the roof. This is sealed by wicking some Tamiya X20 over the pastels. Where some pastel dust has got into the texture I simply redo the dark color wash.

4. Finally a little moss is added into the appropriate places. This is made by mixing up Woodland scenics Fine Turf, with water and white glue to make a sort of paste. Just a little bird poop, and touch up and the roof is done.

I finish with a light spray of Pebeo artists matte varnish.

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If there are ever any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Moving on to some of the detailing. First up, what Fantasy Tavern would be complete without a mythical beast skull. This is just sculpted in Magic Sculpt.

I needed an Inn sign so I found something online. Adjusted the size etc in photoshop and printed it onto some plain paper. I mounted these on to each side of some thin card and completed the bracket using some thin wood and copper wire.

I needed another sign over the front door so the same process but no bracket this time.

Finally the chimney was finished off. made from some plastic tube and secured to the roof with some copper wire stays..

The only problem I have is deciding when this will be finished.

John

D

Durk

Superb work as always John :thumb2:. Don't stop too soon, all the little details make even it better:hungry:!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning John,

Wow....now this is turning out to be superb! It look good before paint....excellent stuff :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Modelling at it's best and real fun to follow each update.
Jim

P

Polux

I don’t remember how many times I’ve been saying “I love it!!!!!” :smiling:
Amazing...