A little of what you Fantasy

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I have always had a side interest in Fantasy figures since they allow ultimate artistic license and no accuracy pressure. So keeping up with my interest in painting 28mm figures I decided to have a go at a little fantasy diorama. There was also a little influence from the Scottish falling over juice, which never goes amiss, as you will see.

The object is to build a little bit of a castle and a sort of adventurers scene. Started off with some convenient packaging.

castle 1.jpg

Now this needs to be textured so I found some very convenient peel and stick cork. Probably meant as some sort of shelf liner, but equally useable for stones.

castle 2.jpg

First couple of courses laid and the beginings of some ground work using insulating foam.

cont/.....

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
More brick laying.

castle 3.jpg

Now I am thinking that I will probably want to add lighting to this as well so the top of the tower will be left loose to get to the electricals.

Just about finished the brick work and I have added a little filler using Hydrocal, which is a sort of light weight plaster of Paris.

castle 4.jpg

castle 5.jpg

The next step was to add some architectural details using Magic Sculpt. Now I am completely making this up as I go along so there is no real reason for any of the details.

castle 6.jpg

I have added a stairway to the entrance using insulating foam and Hydrocal. I am now shopping for the figures that will inhabit this little scene. Plenty to pick from so watch this space.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John,
Great idea on using the cork for lining the curved walls...definitely using it in future. Like what you sculpted on each side of the window...are they gargoyles?

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning John,
Nice building...look excellent even before painting :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Really nice.....love the cork and magic sculpt effect.....
Where did you source the peel and stick cork?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John,
A very neat idea will follow along and see what magic you weave.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gents welcome along and thank you for taking the time to add your likes and your comments.
I think the gargoyle thingies are indeed Owls although no idea why. I will simply try to add in as many fantasy cliches as I can think of.
Meantime I have been shopping for some figures. I never knew there were so many Skryves, sorcerers, druids, skull cleavers, thieves, bards, Stykers etc etc. I picked out a few of the slightly less bizarre models so now I await the postman.

Continuing with a little more detail I have made up the front door. Made from scribed plasticard and painted with drawing inks.

door.jpg

It will be tucked away so should look OK. I also added a gallery to the first floor window and the little bridge to get to the front door.

gallery.jpg

bridge.jpg

Having fun trying to imagine where to put the trap doors, treasure chests, beast lairs etc

John

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks good, if you need a second tower, I am willing to volunteer to help you empty the Laphroaig first.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Great to see something different.

Great build so far, you have acheived a lot of great details. One thing to remember is to ensure the pattern of the stone block on the inside of the castilations matches the outside.

Have you seen this French castle reconstruction? Thought it may be of general interest: https://www.guedelon.fr/

Peter

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not to be missed , building, wild imagation, front seat please John.
The other John .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John,
The little bridge at the door is a nice touch. This and stairs always intrigue me when it comes to dios. It helps if there is no historical references to adjust to and you can let your imagination run. I like the blood red door too.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its such a joy to watch your work John. Your imagination and modelling skills are second to none. I will pull up a chair if I may and see where this one takes you.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bonjour gentlemen. Many thanks for all the words of encouragement. I must confess that my inner crenellations don't really match the outsides but hopefully I will disguise this better as the build progresses.

Moving right along I think I said I will probably light this up with some LED's and maybe some fibre optics. To make this work I needed to build a little bit of a room to go behind the open gallery. This will need to be vaguely furnished if the lighting is sufficient. I also had some fun building a little stained glass window. I did this by taking some small mesh and stretching it to make diamond shapes and then stuck it to some card board that had the window size cut in it. I then used Testors clear parts cement on the inside to glaze each little pane. Finally a couple of touches of Tamiya clear red, blue green and orange added the colours. I hope that this will still show up when the lighting is installed.

room 1.jpg

window.jpg

Finally the basic painting has been done ready to have some dirt and vegetation added.

castle 7.jpg

Time for a break and some more Laphroaig just in case I decide to make another one. You're all welcome to join me. Cheers

John