A little of what you Fantasy

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Missed lots of this:flushed:.
Some excellent work John, figures and scenery look splendid. Can’t beat a bit of fantasy :thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
Just caught up with your fantasy build and the latest additions, it really is coming together and there is so much to enjoy.
Cheers, Mike.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ta very much chaps. This is still keeping my mojo going on what is for me, a long build.

After endless hours of painting, touching up, repainting etc etc a have now got a bus for my merry band of adventurers.

Nice little model but an "osti de cochon a peinturer" as we might say here. Give me some splinter camouflage at 1/35 any day.

John

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi John, missed this before…and what a great looking dio it’s going to be.:thumb2::thumb2:

Great scratch building and I love vibrant colours too, a most welcome change to all the OD and sand.:hugging-face:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
With the caravan nearly done I decided some flowers were necessary. This also gave me scope to try another new technique, new to me anyway.

No apologies for stealing this technique from Mr Andrew Belsey. I chopped up some spongey foam in a bladed coffee grinder. I then coloured the foam granules with fabric paint, to prevent them from going hard if I had used ordinary Acrylic. I made some stalks out of thin needles of bamboo painted a suitable shade of green. The leaves were punched using one of these things from green stuff world.

Stuck together with some white glue this is what I got.

I then transplanted these on to my dio.

Easy gardening, beat that Mr Race and you other real gardeners.

John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice fantasy gardening John. Big plus, no pollen to drive ones allergies nuts!
Love the flora man. Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Flowers look good. Great idea to use fabric paint - I wouldn't have thought of that.
Jim

First Name
Andrew
Great work John! I love the vibrancy of this. And nothing's stolen. We share techniques to inspire and help each other. That's why I'm here anyway!
Andy

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The colors, the details, the whimsy, the action, you've got it all going here John. Outstanding. Savage Mouse reminds me of Wee Forest Folk sculpts. PaulE

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
Only one word - Yes!
Mike.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your kind comments are really appreciated and I am having lots of fun playing with new techniques etc etc.

I know some of you are already expert at this but for me casting has always been a dark art. Having looked at a number of fantasy based sites I saw that casting paving floors, walls etc etc was very common. So although I don't know what I am going to do with this yet I thought I would give it a go, and provide a simple SBS for anyone who wants to try the same experiments. I decided to try to cast a section of rough stone wall.

Step one involved cutting a 1cm thick sheet of insulation foam, and then cutting it into rough stone shaped blocks. I sanded off the edges to give a worn look and stuck them together with white glue to form a basic wall. I then took a sharp knife and cut this in half along the long axis and stuck both halves to a piece of firm card, Step 2. This was given a coat of acrylic sealer and a thin coat of Gesso just to protect it.

I found some quick set silicone mould making putty in my local art store, Photo 4 shows the stuff I found. This comes in two parts, and like miliput etc you simply mix the two putties together to form the quick set moulding stuff. I smothered my rough wall with this mixture. Now this stuff takes about 10 minutes to set so you need to work fast.

After 10 minutes I peeled the mould off the original and voila! a rubbery mould ready to go. Step 5. I then made two casts from this mould the first in Hydrocal (like plaster of paris) and the second in quick set resin mix.

I think the result is very acceptable in both cases. The hydrocal version is probably cheaper to make than the two part resin mix.
I intend to continue casting these sections then to create some kind of house or castle etc by simply sticking them together maybe on a light cardboard backing. Notice that with the form I have made they fit together top to bottom, end to end and you can turn each casting in any direction so that the finished wall does not appear too repetetive.

I hope this is useful to someone.

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Very fine work John, and becoming a mega-production!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Vibrant it is John :cool: needed shades for the bus. You've put some of the real gardeners to shame with your instant garden. Nice production line on your stone casting.

Cheers,
Richard