A long(ish) term project.....................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Been having a bit of trouble, with my osteoarthritis again, and it's kept me from the bench a bit, so I've been thinking about the long term project, that I have been toying with over the past year or so. I've been in the process of acquiring models with a particular theme, picking them up here and there ( mainly there! ), when I like the price. I'm waiting for the delivery of the last two parts in my jigsaw.
So the general theme is RAF Cold War Fighters.
In order of introduction ( more or less )
special hobby hornet.jpg
xtrakit vampire 5.jpgxtrakit meteor 8.jpg
hobbyboss sabre.jpg
I know this is probably the wrong variant for RAF service, but I've got RAF AM decals, so I'm ignoring the error!

airfix swift 5.jpgrevell hunter.jpgsword lightning.jpg
Been looking for a Sword Lightning single seater, but no luck ( at least at a price I'm prepared to pay! ). The Trumpeter Lightnings are nice models, but suffer from inaccuracies in the rear fuselage - this was around the same price, so I went for this.

A couple of the models can have the overall silver finish, but all can have camouflage - I'll decide on a kit-by-kit basis.
The Xtrakit Vampire is a rebox of the Special Hobby Model, the Xtrakit Meteor of the MPM product.
Some are not quite short-run models, but not real mainstream - only the Hunter, Swift & Sabre would count as that, and the Sabre is one of the 'Easy Assembly' models!
I was tempted to go in 1/48, but the cost & the space needed has pushed me to 1/72. Some of these should be quick builds ( like the Sabre ), but others like the Hornet & the Lightning may be a little more challenging.
Don't know when I'll start, but, it'll probably be interspersed by other genres of plastic
( I just noticed, that most of the pictures show pilots, but I don't think even one model has one included :sad: )
Dave
p.s. ( I did consider the Javelin, as well, but decided to leave it out )

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Interesting project Dave, looking forward to see the models. Wish you the best with the osteoarthritis.
Steven

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting project Dave!! Will take some time.

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That's an fun project. A nice idea to have a theme. It will be interesting to see how each kit measures up given the variety of manufacturers and presumably the differing ages of the kits.
I hope your osteoarthritis doesn't hold you back too much. A nasty, debilitating condition.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks, all - at the moment it's stiffness, but that normally leads to pain................but I've taken some Ibuprofen, so hopefully it'll pass quickly. I actually have been using my left hand to wield the airbrush - luckily only priming & basecoats, but not bad ( but clumsy ). If the right hand doesn't improve, I might have to teach myself to use my left hand ( it'd be useful anyway! )
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As Dennis Taylor used to say, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Have you tried any stronger anti-inflammatories Dave, such as Naproxen?
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As Dennis Taylor used to say, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Have you tried any stronger anti-inflammatories Dave, such as Naproxen?
Pete
Pete,
not recommended, due to high blood pressure & all the other tablets I take ( 10 ) a day. Ibuprofen is about as strong as I can go at the moment. I'm using ibuprofen gel directly as well, which helps
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Should be a nice little project Dave! Some interesting aircraft there….as to ibuprofen, I’m sure you know this but just to be sure….be careful using ibuprofen tablets with the gel. There is a limit on how much you can take in one day without developing other issues….the gel is absorbed as well, so count it in your daily allowance.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Should be a nice little project Dave! Some interesting aircraft there….as to ibuprofen, I’m sure you know this but just to be sure….be careful using ibuprofen tablets with the gel. There is a limit on how much you can take in one day without developing other issues….the gel is absorbed as well, so count it in your daily allowance.
Tim,
essentially it's the gel during the day, tablets at night......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
You may ask - why not the Gloster Javelin? I wanted the Airfix FAW 9, but I've given up on getting one at a decent price - they go from anything from £ 29 - 36 on ebay. I did pick up a Mistercraft Javelin, but that's a real dog, not worth the effort! I'm still lurking on ebay, I've bid on about ten of them, but all go for much higher than I'm prepared to pay!, but you never know!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know exactly where your coming from Dave. Hope it gets better soon….Osteo is usually weather related unless it’s too advanced.
I have just stopped taking NSAIDs for my RA. I was on Ibuprofen three times a day and paracetamol four times a day. I had an appointment with my rheumatologist last week though. I got given a steroid injection and was put on supplementary medication. This week, no painkillers :smiling2: :smiling2:
The tablets take a while to build up though, so it’s a race between them working and the steroid effectiveness waning….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Keep bidding on the Javelin, you’ve only got to get lucky once.

First Name
Andrzej
Thanks, all - at the moment it's stiffness, but that normally leads to pain................but I've taken some Ibuprofen, so hopefully it'll pass quickly. I actually have been using my left hand to wield the airbrush - luckily only priming & basecoats, but not bad ( but clumsy ). If the right hand doesn't improve, I might have to teach myself to use my left hand ( it'd be useful anyway! )
Dave
I am sorry to hear about the problems. Never fun. :worried:
About "teaching" left hand to do things, here is a short story from me.
I am working as a mechanical design engineer and use mouse all day long at work and later at home when I do my stuff.
I am right-handed and my wrist started to have problems, it would get kind of numb etc.
To make the story short, I decided to "add" my left hand to the game. :tongue-out3:
The beginnings were just terrible, I could not do any clicks and wheel movements as my brain is right-handed.
I was about to give up BUT I started to notice the difference after few attempts.
Within a week or so my "addition" started to work very well.
After a month I was able to use the left hand with probably 90% efficiency of the right one.

I hope the problems go away but if you HAVE to teach yourself using left hand, it will be totally "doable". Good luck, Dave!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Have you tried a trackball Andrzej? I had mouse issues similar to yours for a while a few years ago at work. I found the change to a trackball really helped. I think it’s because you need to move your fingers to use a track ball, so don’t get the “frozen joint” issue.

First Name
Andrzej
Have you tried a trackball Andrzej? I had mouse issues similar to yours for a while a few years ago at work. I found the change to a trackball really helped. I think it’s because you need to move your fingers to use a track ball, so don’t get the “frozen joint” issue.
Tim and Dave.
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit but just very short reply.
I solved the problem by finding a right mouse type (after a long search and trial and error).
Evoluent Mouse works perfect for me, and I am talking here 10+ years since my "discovery" ;)

First Name
Jean-Marc
Definitely a nice and interesting selection of project you have invest in ..I just glad to see that I'm not the only one thinking about long term stuff !