A Mother Ship and Lunar Rover.- Made from card and junk......

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all the great input so far chaps!

I've completed the basic construction of the Lunar Rover.
When I designed the thing, I wanted, not unreasonably I thought, to have as good a chance of survival should things go tit's up. So I came up with the idea of having two rovers stuck together. That way, if one broke, I could quickly scuttle off into the next, lock myself in and skeedaddle off back to the mothership, dragging the useless piece of junk behind me.

So here's the early stages of my belt and braces Rover.

You can see the bendy connecting bit. This will allow the rover to turn almost on it's own length and made from part of a drinking straw. There was no real need to cut out the windows, as I have another plan for those, so I omitted them from the second cab. The slabs on the side are plastic card to kind'a start to beef things up a bit.

The bendy bit also will act as an escape route/airlock from one unit to the other......

P1310600.JPG

I've also added a couple of solar panels made from kitchen foil......Just spotted this near corner needs a bit of trimming off!
P1310601.JPG

Next up, I'll add the running gear and stick on all the things that have come to mind that I can stick on........It's a fair old list and could well make the things look like a couple of Sea Anemones on steroids!

All good fun and as hoped, not a rivet counter within miles! ;)

Cheers,
John Koenig

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love it! I may yet build my idea, but I now need to clear the bench of current projects…..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tim.

The hanger for the Rover.
Made from card. All the appendages on the rover retract into it's own body, hence the minimal space required around the vehicle. Thus saving on the size of the mother ship. Clever, what?
P1310458.JPG

P1310464.JPG

P1310465.JPG

Incidentally, that is not a lunar landscape, but my rather abused cutting mat......

Your friend,

Buzz Lightbulb

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Buzz
You have clearly studied all the physics involved and come up with a design which will be the envy of all those less able guys at NASA. Your contribution to space exploration deserves recognition - Sir Buzz Lightbulb perhaps?
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Rivet counter alert! Rivet counter alert! :smiling6: It's missing an astro-dome. :tears-of-joy: I'd put one just forward of the solar panels I presume that's what it is. Basically to take readings from the stars and pictures from above.
Very imaginative Ron. I like the idea of the flexible center tube...does it function as a conduit between the rover modules? Can't wait for all the parafhernalia that will stick out the rover in travelling mode.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron

Coming on very nicely indeed!! Keep up the great start.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your support chaps...:thumb2:

Rivet counter alert! Rivet counter alert! :smiling6: It's missing an astro-dome. :tears-of-joy: I'd put one just forward of the solar panels I presume that's what it is. Basically to take readings from the stars and pictures from above.
Very imaginative Ron. I like the idea of the flexible center tube...does it function as a conduit between the rover modules? Can't wait for all the parafhernalia that will stick out the rover in travelling mode.

Cheers,
Richard

Giz' a chance Richard. I've only just started building the things....

I gave reference to the solar panels earlier in the build.

It's isn't missing an Astrodome, it's a special concertina one I have recently patented, retracted so the Rover fits in it's hanger for the picture and I do know what they are for, honest. ;)
I also mentioned the reason for the flexible centre tube.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No doubt Gerry Anderson would be proud of your scope of imagination Ron. I was just pulling your leg...obviously it's still naked and will be suitably clothed as you progress. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 things looking good ,however that first photo is a little worrying , looks like a squashed ***** ..

M Whitehouse.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great posts boys....
Not much going on in my den. I'm too busy making the most of the great weather, so major model making can wait.

I've managed to make the engine housings for the mother ship out of folded card.
P1310505.JPG

Cheers.
Space Commander Lou Smorrels.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 aka Space Commander Lou Smorrels..
Here at the Sputnik Launch Dept we are looking with interest at your design , are you going incorporate a thrust bearing on the outer bleed-cycle operation. This is most important to remember this when working out the
Characteristic velocity.

Tyuratam launch base in the Kazakh Republic

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Rick.

I am pleased to read you folks at Tyuratam are taking a look at my design. I tried to incorporate the trust bearing, but unfortunately the head of my design team, one Sir Gizza Ammeranasaw kept stubbing his toe on it. So it's been dismantled.

We worked late into last night and our assistant, Nick de' Scrowtumb surprised us with fish, chips and mushy peas! He suggested we use the empty peas tin as a thrust bearing. Do you know, it works a treat.

So, now the Characteristic Velocity problem is now solved.

Don't sent 'The Committee' around to steal the idea, our Health Clinic Matron has hairs where even men don't have them!

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now the early dark nights are really upon us, I'm able to visit my den a bit more often.
Here's the Mother Ship thus far....

I stuck the engine housings onto the hanger and then just 'invented' bits that looked o.k and glued them on.

Weird or what? Rough as a bear's ***e, but it's a start - And good fun too.
P1310597.JPG

P1310598.JPG

P1310599.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Boldly Going where no "Origami" has gone before! ;) 570, that is a most interesting concept....one gets the idea you've been down this road more than once. Rick H.