a new member and their first build

T

Turbo

Hi guys I have just joined the forum after inheriting a few models and a load of tamiya paints and accessories from a family friend.Two of the models had already been started , one of these had no instructions so I put these to one side (probably to be never be completed) the other two were an audi r10 tdi and a red arrows 50th aniversary starter set.Having looked at both of them I chose to start with the red arrows set as it looked easier than the Audi to build. Having no real experience in building anything like this it seemed prudent.So today I started painting the cockpit parts on the spurs giving them a quick soak in warm soapy water before painting but for some reason some of the paint didn't seem to cover too well should I have washed them again in plain water to clean the soapy water off? And are there any good tips for putting on the decals ?

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Welcome to the site.

I would certainly have rinsed the soapy water off the parts.  In addition you will find that many people are of the opinion that Tamiya paints are impossible to use for brush painting,  they aren't but they can be more difficult many thin coats is the order of the day.

For decals, first apply a gloss varnish, then the decals then another gloss coat, followed by weathering and then the final varnish matt.gloss depending on taste.

For more details search the forum, there is plenty of detailed advice on decal application.

T

Turbo

thanks dave I will give the kit a wash aqain tomorrow and see if that helps I will have a look on here for some pointers on the decals I have been looking at some of the finished models on here and I have to say wow the detail and craftsmanship is amazing i'm going to be too embarrassed to put a picture of my hawk up when I have finished it

so Tamiya paints are better suited to air brushing? if I need any other colours when I start the Audi would humbrol be a better choice?

R

russell hopson

If you ask around on the site someone might have the instructions you need for the other kits you have. and welcome to the site

T

Turbo

cheers Russell I will do that when I have finished the hawk I would love to finish the other two as it seems like a waste leaving them half finished. ones a mitsubushi evo rally car and the other is a Calsonic 350z race car I have the instructions for the 350z I just need to work out how far along it is and what is missing.

when the hawk is finished I will ask and see if anyone has some instructions for the Tamiya evo rally car. Which section would I be best to post in asking this mate?

B

Builder

Welcome Scott mate. If you can tell me the exact model name or maybe a box art photo I might be able to try and find them.