A P-40 Kittyhawk lost in the Egyptian Desert in 1942. Found 2012.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I know there are couple of members that I must have upset in an earlier life, to whom I could offer a million quid to post something, anything, any time, but they still wouldn't. So when I read all your excellent comments, I really couldn't care less.

Ron,

All I can say is WOW. That little bit of skull scratchery paid off.
:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Excellent piccies - and - as for the numpties you mention above it's their loss.
(our) this forum's gain.

Paul.
:thumb2::smiling2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Great work Ron I think the best photo is the penultimate one.

Ian, that picture was a bit of a fluke. I was swivelling the base about, trying to get the right angle for the shot, when the sun burst into the viewfinder.

After a few minutes waiting for two big blue circles to vanish from my eyesight, I decided to see if I could actually take a picture almost directly into the 'Current Bun'.

I'm chuffed both you and Tony like the result.... :thumb2:

Thanks again.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 Your skills in both building and presenting these photos are superb. Gains the Race Towers :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: award.

Would like to see a SBS on how you do the photos please. Don't think I'm alone in wanting this.

453. sitting in awe.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the compliments chaps. Much appreciated.

Would like to see a SBS on how you do the photos please.

453. sitting in awe.

453, I've sat in a few things in my time, but never in awe! :tongue-out3:

Regarding an S.B.S., I really wouldn't know where to start. I'm a simple 'Point and click' merchant, who knows stuff all about photography or the settings on a camera. And that's the truth.

There are loads of knowledgeable members on here who could do an excellent 'How to', I'm sure. Not this useless Muppet I'm afraid......

But, what is of paramount importance to me is the actual composition of the photo. Too often I see pictures of great models not given a good background for the photos. I think even part built bits should have a plain background of some sort, not the workbench or the front room settee!

No offence, but this doesn't need any sort of S.B.S. or tutorial. Just a bit of thought and time before the shutter goes 'Click'

To take the pictures on this thread, I simply waited for the right sky, rested the model on the window cill of my den and snapped away! The camera, a £40 cheapo from eBay, set on auto. (Permanently) No skill whatsoever.... :upside:

I hope the above doesn't read like a bit of a cop out, but I'm really not 'yer man. I'm still honoured you should ask though....

Stay safe everyone.

Ron

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Superb scene Ron, excellent timing with the clear blue skies and sun as a background:thumb2::thumb2:

Heard of the story some time ago and love how your Kittyhawk depicts a lost one:cool:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Like it Ron? Absolutely love it.

I'd not heard of this story until you started your build thread. Interesting and obviously a sad story from the pilot's perspective.

Very nicely rendered, you should be proud of it.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew. A sad tale indeed.

Have you seen the mess the Egyptians made of 'Restoring' Copping's P-40? What a disgrace!

As for being proud of it, don't tell anyone, but I must confess to being well chuffed with the end result.

Cheers.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Have you seen the mess the Egyptians made of 'Restoring' Copping's P-40? What a disgrace!

As for being proud of it, don't tell anyone, but I must confess to being well chuffed with the end result.

Cheers.
Ron

Excuse me Ron and Andrew.

Didn't they just, a complete mess. Surprised when they are really good at keeping the historic remains so well.

Disgusted of Penge.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 .
I can see now how you obtain such good back drops, being up high in the crows nest at Spanner Hall !
You are quite right saying about taking care to set up a photo, I normally just want to do an up date, and tend to take the photo with out any thought.
But, will now attempt final photos with care.

Yours Arthur Slapdash.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ron. Just beautiful I’ve read this story many times and I’m glad you have brought it to Scale Modeling I don’t think there’s a rock or a grain of sand out of place you have definitely captured the look. Be proud my friend

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Cheers.
Ron

You're quite right to be chuffed there Ron (I won't tell anyone though!). A great result

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
453, Lee and Dave. Thanks ever so much for your most excellent and amusing posts.

It gives me a reet good buzz to read such nice comments from the talented members we have here on S.M.

Keep safe everyone.

Ron