A pair of Fokkers?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's my entry into the WW1 GB - a couple of DR1/F1 Fokker triplanes. 'Why 2?', you might ask. Well, I've had the Roden kit for a while and, having done a bit of research on it, I knew there were a couple of things to correct. I saw the Encore kit on Ebay (I know this is a reboxing of the Roden kit with extra bits) and got it quite cheap. My thoughts were that I could use the reboxing as a guide for some of the corrections. That was the theory!

Anyhoo, I now have 2 triplanes that require building and what better place than the WW1 GB.

Now the kits...

The Roden DR.1 kit, as I've said, has a few small issues with it but is essentially a very good kit. I've purchased an etch set from Part (a new company to me) and have some detail parts for the Spandau MGs from Master.

The Encore kit is essentially a reboxing of the Roden kit with some extra resin detail parts, an etch fret from Eduard (I believe), and a resin figure. I have discovered that the plastic in the Encore kit does differ from the Roden kit because the engine cowl is represented as a 2 piece in the Encore kit and a 1 piece in the Roden kit (I'll be building both my kits with 2 piece cowls). I also have the Master detail set for the MGs on this kit and may decide to buy the Part etch set as it seems more comprehensive, but I haven't decided on that yet.

Lastly, a word on the figures.

The Encore kit comes with a resin figure of Verner Voss in flying gear and although the figure is ok overall I just don't like his face. To me his expression seems a bit stupid therefore I may be replacing this figure's head with a more dignified Hornet one. He's also changing identity because this figure will represent Ernst Udet in my builds.

The other Verner Voss figure is from Model Cellar and is quite simply stunning. Nothing to be said really just requires painting (I hope I can do it justice).

So, there you have it. 2 Fokker triplanes one the mount of Verner Voss, the other Ernst Udet.

Hope you like the build and hopefully the results will be worthy.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 43103View attachment 43106View attachment 43104View attachment 43105View attachment 43107

View attachment 46368

View attachment 46369

View attachment 46370

View attachment 46371

View attachment 46372

DR1 kits.jpg

Encore Parts.jpg

Face.jpg

Roden Parts.jpg

Voss Figure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Two, good heavens Paul. I'll struggle to get my Camel done in the 3 months we've got. Just a thought, maybe your title should have been 'Meet the Fokkers' I think it was a film or something.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

Yeah, that really should have been the name of this build! LOL!

Paul

M

mobear

blooming marvellous,in 1/32 im looking forward to seeing this

mobear

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ole

Thanks for your interest in the build. I hope you like the results.

Colin, sorry I don't know why I called you Ian? Easily confused these days!

Ian, the bust is just the top half of the figure that comes with the Encore kit. This is the head who's face I think looks a bit odd.

Cheers all

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thought I'd take a break from the RC Tiger 1 build to start on the WW1 GB (everyone else has made such a fantastic start I thought it best!)

Here's my modest start to the 2 Fokker triplanes.

I've built the engines which required careful filing as they are an extremely tight fit within the engine cowl (plenty of dry test fitting went on here). I recommend anyone building this kit to do the same I ended up filing a little off each cylinder bock before fitting the cylinder heads to get the engine to fit.

..and then I turned my attention to one pair of the 2 sets of MGs I need to complete these 2 birds.

These received the detail parts from Master Model which were carefully soldered and then glued to the plastic MG breeches.

That's it so far. Obviously the engines are looking a bit bright at the moment but I think with a good colour wash they will look ok.

Cheers

Paul

D

dubster72

Those MGs look great Paul! I think these two will be very special.

Cheers

Patrick

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Those MG's look great Paul.

Nice work so far.

Tony.

M

mobear

i`m beginning to understand why model builders get these bits for their planes, boats,tanks and such like gives a whole new look to things,oh and by the way brill start

mobear

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guysOle - photo etched, resin or any other aftermark, detail-up parts do improve the look of models, but to what degree varies a lot. I think in the case of the Spandau MGs the improvement over the kit parts is obvious and is worth the investment. A word of warning on these parts though - they are quite delicate and require soldering to get a good strong bond of the etch parts. Experience with working with small etch parts is useful. The experience I gained with a soldering iron on the RC Tiger proved very useful here!

Cheers

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic looking guns paul , the P.E. really makes a big difference , looking forward to seeing these 2 progress . I havent even thought about my entry yet! i just havent had time lately, cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony

It would be great to have you aboard the WW1 GB, and I know whatever you decide to build will top drawer quality.

I really hope you do get the time to get the entry in.

All the best

Paul

C

CDW

Good start on this, the PE really gives it some "ummppff" eh?

Looking forward to see what you do with all this :smiling3:

To be honest, after seeing what you're up to here Paul, and others in this WW1 GB ... it seems to have sparked my interest ... I'm gonna have to join up :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I think WW1 has some very interesting subjects for the modeller to choose from, lots of interesting paint finishes too.

Please do get your entry into the GB Colin, the more the merrier! It's nice to have a few friends along for the builds - support, encouragement and advice is always on hand from everyone.

All the best

Paul

C

CDW

Ok Paul my arm is twisted :smiling3:

Gonna have a look at the armour from the great war.... i don't think i'm up for attempting an aircraft unless i can find one i like in 1/48.

C

CDW

That was an option Ole :smiling3: :smiling3:

But i suppose i must do this the old fashioned way and build it myself :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A bit more done...

I've added a bit of detailing to the engines in the form of electrical leads to the spark plugs, and also replaced the valve rods as I felt these were over scale.

The engines were then given a thin oil paint wash and assembled.

...And this is what I meant about the difference in engine cowls.

The One piece cowl

...and then the 2 piece...

I've also completed all 4 MGs now

From here I think the next task will be the cockpits.

I think I'm having a change of mind on one of the colour schemes. I think I'm going to build Manfred Von Richtofen's mount instead of the Werner Voss machine as it has more colour.

Cheers

P