A pair of Spits - Tamiya & Guillow's

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice looking Tammie Spit Chris and a neat start on the balsa one too.
Just like building a real one way back.:thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks Fernando. It really is! The assembly is a lot of fun, totally different to a plastic kit because structural strength and integrity is at the front of your mind all the time. It's a more mechanical build.

Skinning done. Once all the tissue had been applied I airbrushed clean water on the whole model to tighten it. Once dry it received a single coat of dope thinned 1:1 with water to seal it all in.

You can see the decals in the background. I had planned to paint it with vallejo and decal it, but for now I decided against this. The paint would simply add unnecessary weight to what was always intended to be a flying model and it will be handed over to my children and inevitably destroyed, so not really worth the effort! If it survives I'll consider painting it.

IMG_2816.JPG

Assembly WAS completed, but then the rubber band that had been installed over a year ago broke on the first test flight meaning it had to be immediately disassembled!

IMG_2826.JPG

You can see a little impact damage on the nose which can easily be repaired. New propulsion units are on the way and it needs to be balanced anyway (tail heavy) so a blessing in disguise.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I haven't built this type of thing for a long time. Maybe i should again as i had great fun with it.